BCSS Seed List December 2021

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
cactusK
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: BCSS Seed List December 2021

Post by cactusK »

Aiko wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:46 pm
cactusK wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:57 am I planted most of the winter-growing succulents this week and I have seedlings of Aloinopsis and Crassula already. I bet more will be up when I check tomorrow.
Aloinopsis is not winter active. Well, maybe in habitat, but up here you can (more) easily grow them in spring, summer and autumn. I keep mine completely dry in winter and keep them in an unheated greenhouse. They can survive -10C to -15C, as we had a few nights in february a year ago.
I planted 2 packets of Aloinopsis last January and they did well, so I thought I'd do these at the same time of year. I was particularly pleased to see Aloinopsis spathulata on the list this year, so I'm hoping I get a good number of seedlings.

I also have a half-planted packet of Aloinopsis malherbei from the Mesemb Study Group that I planted in April and only got 1 seedling of, so I thought it was worth having another go at a different time of year.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: BCSS Seed List December 2021

Post by el48tel »

Advice now needed.
Out of the two Pachypodium species seed packets I have about 14 seedlings which look as though they may be viable.
They were in a poly bag on kitchen paper for about a week at 30C and germination was rapid. Left them for a couple more days to ensure the maximum yield. They are now in a mix of perlite and JI#2 70 30 in pots and returned to a poly bag at 30C.
How long should they be in the baggie?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.