BCSS Seed List December 2021

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: BCSS Seed List December 2021

Post by el48tel »

Ali Baba wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:17 pm
el48tel wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:01 pm

Mat
And I would bet that this discussion will be like many on the forum ... continuing next year .... and the next .....
I sincerely hope it gets fixed before then... :shock:
I admire your optimism
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

el48tel wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:13 am

In the UK, 10% of the population live in digital poverty, with no access to online services including forums and online purchasing sites and online banking. For them, often their only methods of purchase are paper catalogues and cheques other than face-to-face shopping. Just because we are fortunate and can access digital services, should not be the reason we exclude people because they are not as fortunate. We should "level up", rather than draw a cut off point at which we discriminate. We should be ashamed of ourselves, for, not having access to ALL forms of payment (as most other societies and organisations do provide), and even THINKING about excluding any person from access to the Society and its services.
El48tel love you lots, but I really don't trust those stats, and if I did I can't imagine the Venn diagram showing people in that situation, + interested in ordering from BCSS seed list would be a significant addition to your argument. (Call me out for suggesting that people in poverty is the same as people with no mobile phone/internet access). How many people in "digital poverty" are BCSS members?

It's time to move on. Simple as that. The BCSS arguments have been that we have an elderly membership many of whom are not in any sort of "poverty" but prefer to rely on ancient ways of paying. If the BCSS continues to prioritise antique methods of payment it will lose members and/or sales. The failure to implement relevant website changes is a total disaster, and the combination of that and the recent furore (which I don't understand) means the Society really has to kick into the 2020s with a new vision.

Trouble is, nowt changes. Forum members may have discussion, but do the national meetings of BoTs etc, AGMs, give a toss, provide detailed minutes of their business?
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

ragamala wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:40 pm
el48tel wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:13 am

In the UK, 10% of the population live in digital poverty, with no access to online services including forums and online purchasing sites and online banking. For them, often their only methods of purchase are paper catalogues and cheques other than face-to-face shopping. Just because we are fortunate and can access digital services, should not be the reason we exclude people because they are not as fortunate. We should "level up", rather than draw a cut off point at which we discriminate. We should be ashamed of ourselves, for, not having access to ALL forms of payment (as most other societies and organisations do provide), and even THINKING about excluding any person from access to the Society and its services.
El48tel love you lots, but I really don't trust those stats, and if I did I can't imagine the Venn diagram showing people in that situation, + interested in ordering from BCSS seed list would be a significant addition to your argument. (Call me out for suggesting that people in poverty is the same as people with no mobile phone/internet access). How many people in "digital poverty" are BCSS members?

It's time to move on. Simple as that. The BCSS arguments have been that we have an elderly membership many of whom are not in any sort of "poverty" but prefer to rely on ancient ways of paying. If the BCSS continues to prioritise antique methods of payment it will lose members and/or sales. The failure to implement relevant website changes is a total disaster, and the combination of that and the recent furore (which I don't understand) means the Society really has to kick into the 2020s with a new vision.

Trouble is, nowt changes. Forum members may have discussion, but do the national meetings of BoTs etc, AGMs, give a toss, provide detailed minutes of their business?
Alan
Your sentiments are reciprocated.
And yes the maths are complex for the intersections on the Venn diagrams ... if they exist.
And yes the statistics .... lies lies and statistics.
And yes I do have friends who CHOOSE digital poverty
And yes we do need to move on ..... but not at the expense of losing membership ..... for any reason
And lastly but not leastly .... plus ça change
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Overcrasher
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Overcrasher »

I received the Cactus world and seed list yesterday. That's a good thing as I am from Romania, Eastern Europe.
I am a little bit sad as I can't get the wonderfull seeds from that list.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

Overcrasher wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:20 am I received the Cactus world and seed list yesterday. That's a good thing as I am from Romania, Eastern Europe.
I am a little bit sad as I can't get the wonderfull seeds from that list.
Well it is, especially seeing as the UK can import seeds from the EU up until the end in July 2022.
peterh
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by peterh »

My seed order arrived today - thank you to the team involved with the seed list for all your efforts :grin:
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

peterh wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:25 pm My seed order arrived today - thank you to the team involved with the seed list for all your efforts :grin:
Me too, and my sentiments also.
Thanks, team! :grin:
cactusK
Registered Guest

Post by cactusK »

Did you get the Aloe polyphylla?

We got our seeds in the post today. We got 2 different Aloe and have started soaking a few of each in water already.

Thanks to everyone involved with the seed distribution. We're really pleased with what we got.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

I think WE should ALL thank the team which works so hard and for no financial reward, just the satisfaction and pleasure of serving our community.
Thanks guys for doing the job so well.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:33 pm I think WE should ALL thank the team which works so hard and for no financial reward, just the satisfaction and pleasure of serving our community.
Thanks guys for doing the job so well.
Totally agree!👏👏👏
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!