Aztekium ritteri from seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
fatich
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Aztekium ritteri from seed

Post by fatich »

I would like to share before and after photos of my Aztekium ritteri seedlings.
Attachments
IMG_20211218_211715.jpg
IMG_20211219_092428.jpg
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aztekium ritteri from seed

Post by iann »

They're definitely growing!
Cheshire, UK
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Fatich,
They are looking good, better than me I only managed one but its still alive after 4 or 5 years.
When did you sow the seed ?
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

They get a bit faster (and easier) as they get older. Not much, though. Well done for getting them this far!
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

They are not hard to grow. Key is to get them to germinate using the "baggy method". After that they grow steadily but extremely slow. After five years expect nothing bigger than maybe half a centimeter. Treat them the same as any other seedlings of the same size, and they should do fine. That is the hardest part, to provide regular water in the growing season as they are so tiny, and to protect them from too excessive sunlight because they are so tiny. Same risks as any other small seedling.

That is how I treat my A. hintonii and A. ritteri for the past eight years now. Aztekium hintonii is the faster grower of the two. My eight year olds are now one centimeter. the A. ritteri of the same age are still smaller than that.
fatich
Registered Guest

Post by fatich »

Tina wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:07 pm Hi Fatich,
They are looking good, better than me I only managed one but its still alive after 4 or 5 years.
When did you sow the seed ?
Hi Tina,

Thank you! They are around 5 years and the biggest one is 1.3cm.
As Aiko said they need regular water during the growing period.
I have some seedlings that i sowed 1.5 years ago and i grow them in an open pot under growing lights. They have been growing so good so far, i water them right after the soil is dry in that way they grow a bit faster.

Seedlings that i sowed 1.5 years ago. They are around 4-5mm.
Attachments
OI000470.JPG
OI000469.JPG
yonnoy
Registered Guest

Post by yonnoy »

Aiko wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:30 pm They are not hard to grow. Key is to get them to germinate using the "baggy method". After that they grow steadily but extremely slow. After five years expect nothing bigger than maybe half a centimeter. Treat them the same as any other seedlings of the same size, and they should do fine. That is the hardest part, to provide regular water in the growing season as they are so tiny, and to protect them from too excessive sunlight because they are so tiny. Same risks as any other small seedling.

That is how I treat my A. hintonii and A. ritteri for the past eight years now. Aztekium hintonii is the faster grower of the two. My eight year olds are now one centimeter. the A. ritteri of the same age are still smaller than that.
hello, regarding baggy method. How often do you recommend opening the bag to water them again? And how do you recommend water them?
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

yonnoy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:51 pm hello, regarding baggy method. How often do you recommend opening the bag to water them again?
Never! Not even for a quick peak.
yonnoy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:51 pm And how do you recommend water them?
Make sure the soil gets well sterilised through boiling before sowing. Make sure the soil is moist while it boils and make sure the soil is still moist once you put it in a pot when sowing. Let the soil cool down a bit, then sow the seeds on top of the soil, put the pot in a bag or other air tight container and let it sit there for at least one year. Maybe two. Chances are some moist will leak away anyway as the months pass. If after a year the soil seems completely dry, then you might open the bag and keep it open from then onwards. If the soil is still moist, continue to keep the bag or container locked. Only open it when algae are really getting too much, and then keep it open onwards. Some algae will always appear after a certain time, but that does not need to be a problem as long as you are not losing any seedlings.

All the water the seedlings need is what you have provided for them in the moist soil when you started sowing. It is enough for them.

It helps to use a mineral soil like loam for sowing these. With loam or clay you can easily see if it is moist as the soil has a darker colour. I use loam myself for years now.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Does anybody use cling-film instead of bags?
I find the bags a bit bulky, messy and expensive.

You can't really reuse them either as they stain.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

habanerocat wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:45 pm Does anybody use cling-film instead of bags?
I find the bags a bit bulky, messy and expensive.

You can't really reuse them either as they stain.
Daughter uses clingfilm on recycled take out sauce containers.
Successfully.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.