Hiya

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
BillyG
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hiya

Post by BillyG »

Been lurking for long enough, so thought it time to say Hiya. I like to sit back and read around and get a feel of the place before jumping in. I find it one of the best ways to learn anything and have also spent many hours on Youtube watching videos. So much information to be picked up by sometimes doing your own researching.
I've only recently got into Cacti and succulents. It all started when I got pestered for long enough by my mother to help her with her allotment. The gardening bug hit me again and the probable progression to Cacti and Succulents were not far behind.
I've had a 10x6 foot greenhouse for many years but had lost all interest with the constant loss and pointless replacement of window pains due to the lovely Scottish weather. The sound of wind and breaking glass when lying in bed at night wasn't something to be enthusiastic about.
With the new found enthusiasm, I decided to clean out the greenhouse and replace all the glass (well, what was left) with twin wall polycarbonate. The cost of normal "greenhouse" glass was crazy to the point that it was nearly as cheap to purchase another greenhouse and with the promise of polycarbonate being much stronger than glass, decided to go down that route.
With two storms this year under our belt already and having to re-secure only a few panels, I'm hoping things are looking better. With more securing clips in place and siliconing around the edges, it certainly seems a lot stronger than glass.
The greenhouse is unheated and unfortunately lost a few plants. There was one night where it got down to -5 :( There is electricity running to the greenhouse but won't exactly be cheap to try and keep to a minimum of +5. Ready to put fleece over most of what's in there and been trying to silicon any gape that can be found.
Not found an exact favourite range yet, so have bits and pieces of many lol. I like the "windowed" Haworthias, Lithops/Pleispilos etc. Faucaria, Stapelia and most which have a similar look to those. Have some small Cacti, Sulcorbutia and love the look of them. Hoping to expand the Cacti collection in Springtime next year and hating the wait.
Not tried any seed sowing yet, so looking forwards to trying that next year as well.
Certainly looking to learn more and gain more experience from you guys, so will continue to lurk and follow with great interest.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hiya

Post by el48tel »

Welcome to the forum
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Welcome, BillyG :grin:
Which part of Scotland are you in?
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
BillyG
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BillyG »

Paul D wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:55 pm Welcome, BillyG :grin:
Which part of Scotland are you in?
Cheers Paul. I'm in West Lothian
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON