el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: January 2022 - New year ... New beginnings

Post by el48tel »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:40 pm
el48tel wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:04 pm Pictures should tell a story otherwise they defeat their object. I think Ian highlighted that in his recent talk, and it's certainly the theme of the two talks I've been giving to branches.
My set up for this photograph (and most that I take) is like Ian's suggestion, I have a small background support tripod that fits on dinning room table and a few different backgrounds to add to it, camera is on tripod and light comes from right through north facing window with a bit more coming from above thanks to skylight
Thanks Jim
Those are useful tips to pass on
North facing light was good enough for the artists who worked in those tiny garrets in Paris. Good enough for me too.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Get your entries in ..... judging takes place tomorrow.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Thank you for such a wide-ranging collection of subjects, and setting me the enjoyable task of judging them. I’ve judged them on photographic merit, including interpretation of the title and quality of the finished image. With such an extensive array of subject matter, it was difficult to choose. I have made a few constructive comments to explain my choice.

Jim Mercer pruned plant …. Good use of neutral background. No distractions. The sweeping curve is a metaphor for the anticipated plant growth.
Jim Mercer seedlings in bag – 1 .. truly new beginnings, pity the bag was steamed up
Jim Mercer seedlings in bag – 2 close up .. truly new beginnings, pity the bag was steamed up
Jim Mercer Pachyphytum oviferum .. Good use of neutral background, pity we can see half a label, I personally don’t mind a whole label or no label, but not half a label as it sets off a new story for me, distracting me from the main story.
Paul D Crassula red edge … a nice plant well photographed but my eye is not drawn to a specific point and is allowed to wander
Paul D Crassula white flower .. a nice plant well photographed. I’d have trimmed the photo to a square to leave the bottom half of the plant
Paul D unrooted Aylostera cutting JD234. I’m not sure what story the image tells me
OTG constructing the Greenhouse .. Certainly, meets the project title, but too much distracting me in the image. Trim off the top 30% of the picture and it becomes more engaging
rcapra buds emerging #1 … precisely composed and presented. Buds attract your attention immediately. Tells the story; needs no words of explanation
rcapra buds emerging #2 …. Another precisely composed and presented image, but the buds need a little more searching out
Ernie plant surgery awaits … I loved this image. It made me laugh as it truly entered into the spirit of the title. I’d trim off much of the seed tray but not all. The tools were not isolated sufficiently from the background. Lighter colour? More contrast?
Jim Mercer Sanseveria cylindrica plant. You certainly know how to isolate the subject from the background by the correct use of lighting and colour choice.
Jim Mercer Sanseveria cylindrica leaf in leaf. This was also an excellent portrayal of the subject title. I have two small criticisms; the grey pot edge top left is a distraction; the new growth didn’t “jump out at me” but trim off the top20% of the picture and it does give a better isolation of the subject.
RAYWOODBRIDGE old plant stem growth …. A lovely composition, well-lit and suitably “lifted” from the well-chosen background
Jim Mercer repotted “now”. Well composed, lit and with a suitable back drop
Jim Mercer repotted December 2016. I laughed …. Thank you
Jim Mercer repotted December 2021. Composition is a bit “wonky” … but I laughed
Jim Mercer repotted in its new pot … A lovely humorous approach. The plant takes on an alter ego.

My choice of winner is …………….. rcapra buds emerging #1.
My choice of close runners up ………. RAYWOODBRIDGE old plant stem growth ……………….. and …………. Jim Mercer Sanseveria cylindrica leaf in leaf.

Over to you rcapra to choose the subject for February 2022
rcapra
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by rcapra »

Thank you for this award in the presence of such interesting photos! Today I will present the proposal for February. Ruggero
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

rcapra wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:20 am Thank you for this award in the presence of such interesting photos! Today I will present the proposal for February. Ruggero
(tu)

Your new topic gets (tu) (tu) (tu) too
rcapra
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by rcapra »

it seemed necessary not to leave the ending in suspense ... Ruggero
Attachments
PXL_20220209_124315100.jpg
PXL_20220209_124320959.jpg