May 2017 - May Blossom
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: January 2022 - New year ... New beginnings

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Davey246 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:05 pm Most of the 15 or so species and varieties of Sansevieria here are winter-growers, some very much so, but pic's of some "boring" leaves............................
Not quite sure how many varieties my local garden centre has which mostly seem to have come from a company based in Denmark with "easycare" labels. While repotting one of their plants I did notice a new leaf on this African spear and in smaller print on the label Sansevieria cylindrica
Sansevieria cylindrica
Sansevieria cylindrica
Might be a little spear inside the new leaf - a bit clearer than in first photograph as I removed some soil/grit that was inside the leaf after the repotting
web-2900.jpg
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Jim
Do I assume you are entering these two images?
If not ... and you are merely responding to the previous post .... could you so indicate.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

el48tel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:09 pm Jim
If not ... and you are merely responding to the previous post .... could you so indicate.
Post is two more entries inspired by previous post - might be 3 more Sansevieria if they get re-potted or I might start calling them Dracaena if I can find the new names so plant in latest pictures might get a new label with Dracaena angolensis on it to replace the one it was sold with
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm
el48tel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:09 pm Jim
Post is two more entries inspired by previous post - might be 3 more Sansevieria if they get re-potted or I might start calling them Dracaena if I can find the new names so plant in latest pictures might get a new label with Dracaena angolensis on it to replace the one it was sold with
Ta muchly (tu)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

New Beginning ? well it was for this old plant
Attachments
20200603_190621.jpg
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Another plant just re-potted, it had been in a 2inch pot since December 2016
Now
Now
The plant in the above picture originally had a cap secured by a long spike into the main stem, this was pulled out but then the cap was replaced on the top of the stem with the spike positioned behind the stem and pushed into the soil. The following pictures are not entries into the photo competition but show the plant after cap removal in 2016 and before re-potting this month

December 2016
December 2021
December 2021
December 2021
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Just a few days left to get those entries in to the competition.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Last new beginnings for my windowsill plants as I have run out of space, like my last post only the first of the three pictures is an entry in the competition, the others are a bit of history.

In its new pot
In new pot
In new pot
Not an entry, just before re-potting, must have been in the shade a few years ago judging by the necking on some of the stems
before re-potting Jan 2022
before re-potting Jan 2022
Plant has been in same pot since November 2014 when this picture was taken
As bought Nov 2014
As bought Nov 2014
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Jim
I'm always happy to see photos of plants n things n activities to do with cactus and succulents.
Thanks for these posted.
Pictures should tell a story otherwise they defeat their object. I think Ian highlighted that in his recent talk, and it's certainly the theme of the two talks I've been giving to branches.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

el48tel wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:04 pm Pictures should tell a story otherwise they defeat their object. I think Ian highlighted that in his recent talk, and it's certainly the theme of the two talks I've been giving to branches.
My set up for this photograph (and most that I take) is like Ian's suggestion, I have a small background support tripod that fits on dinning room table and a few different backgrounds to add to it, camera is on tripod and light comes from right through north facing window with a bit more coming from above thanks to skylight