Local branch- brilliant night

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Local branch- brilliant night

Post by Ernie »

Last night the Teesside branch held a 'mini show' on a normal monthly branch meeting. It was well attended and all the show tables were filled with entries. The format was very interesting, members were invited to fill in a sheet for each class indicating which plants they thought should be 1st 2nd 3rd. Members held onto those sheets until Ian Armstrong a national judge decided on the winners in each class. After he had made his decision he asked a number of members which plant they had placed first in their selections. It was interesting to note how different Ians selections were from the members. He explained in detail why he chosen the plants he had and also pointed out why plants had not been considered. A very interesting evening and a much welcome alternative to the usual format of having a visiting speaker. Brilliant in fact! Well done to the organiser Mr Graham Walker and a big thanks to Ian for an informative evening.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Local branch- brilliant night

Post by el48tel »

What an excellent idea for an instructive branch meeting
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

That’s how we run our Autumn shows.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
cactusK
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by cactusK »

I think it sounds like a great idea for a meeting and I'd like to see something similar too. How many and what classes did it have?
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

We've done the same format in the South Wales Branch on various occasions, and it was always a popular event.

But maybe we should turn it on its head - have a show where the public or "ordinary" members vote for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and then modify the judging criteria to ensure that the judges result ias in line with popular expectation?

Occasionally, when I give talks, I get asked to judge the table show, and I agree, but point out that I am not a qualified judge, and the criterion I will use is "1st = plant I would most like to take home with me", 2nd, the next one I'd like to take home, etc.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

ralphrmartin wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:24 pmOccasionally, when I give talks, I get asked to judge the table show, and I agree, but point out that I am not a qualified judge, and the criterion I will use is "1st = plant I would most like to take home with me", 2nd, the next one I'd like to take home, etc.
LLLOL - the very best criteria of all, IMO

It is an age ago, but the Leicester branch had a talk by (if memory serves) a husband and wife team of judges.
The main attraction was a collection of plants that the attendees were asked to critique.......

Educational and amusing, especially from my point of view as I have not a single competetive bone in my body and just like what I like. I do remember that one plant was, again, if memory serves, an Australian bottle tree (Brachy-something, if memory.................), which I like as (large) pot plants. At that time, if not now, it was a genus not regarded as covered under BCSS classifications.
Pattock
Registered Guest

Post by Pattock »

ralphrmartin wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:24 pm Occasionally, when I give talks, I get asked to judge the table show, and I agree, but point out that I am not a qualified judge, and the criterion I will use is "1st = plant I would most like to take home with me", 2nd, the next one I'd like to take home, etc.
I'll judge the most/prettiest purple section.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/