Sterilisation of compost?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Rich66
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Sterilisation of compost?

Post by Rich66 »

What is the best method for sterilising compost?
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Sterilisation of compost?

Post by Tony R »

Hi Rich,
You may get many diverse answers to this question from C&S enthusiasts, so there may not be a 'best' way, but may include: using steam, or microwave, or oven, or boiling water, or do nothing. Depending upon what I'm using the compost for, I currently adopt the latter two. I've been banned from using the microwave or oven!
But here is a layman's guide, that is worth a read: https://theyardandgarden.com/how-to-sterilize-soil/
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

wet compost in your pot/tray in a zip top bag microwave for 8-10 mins
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Rich66
BCSS Member

Post by Rich66 »

I’m going to be sowing a load of seeds next weekend and I just wondered how important it is to have sterilised compost for this. Is it crucial for this or if I don’t can it cause issues ?
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

You'll get different opinions. I have two threads on here bookmarked and there's also a society seed raising leaflet.

viewtopic.php?t=166614&hilit=a+busy+day

viewtopic.php?t=171130&hilit=Seed+plant ... as+started

https://www.society.bcss.org.uk/images/ ... atemix.pdf
cactusK
Registered Guest

Post by cactusK »

We sterilise compost in the microwave for sowing seeds. A couple of years ago we had a big problem with fungus gnat larva hatching in the compost so that's why we sterilise it now. We never really have a problem with fungus, mould, etc.
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

Damp compost, microwaved until it is steaming, timimg of which will depend on how moist whatever quantity of compost you are heating.

Ordinary polythene gets very soft, stretchy and delicate at 100+C. Far safer to use roasting bags, which will last for ever - I have only ever bought one box and they are still in use after many 10kg compost having gone through them. For extra safety, especially as the microwave wll near certainly be the one in the kitchen, use one bag inside another as you will get tiny holes at some stage. Loosely close them (mine came with oven-proof re-usable plastic ties) - maybe something like a pencil can still be pushed through the closed neck. They will plump-up nicely when the steam gets going.

I usually gently rumble the contenets half way through the cooking.

For large quantities, I have used a baby Belling stand-alone laundry boiler (do they still exist?).
Rich66 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:42 pm I’m going to be sowing a load of seeds next weekend and I just wondered how important it is to have sterilised compost for this. Is it crucial for this or if I don’t can it cause issues ?
Not essential, but a huge benefit.
If it is done properly, you will get nothing but C&S seedlings. Commercial composts have been sterilised, in the main, but the bags aren't sealed so will normally contain algae and moss/lichen to a greater or lesser degree.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I have a cheapie microwave in the greenhouse under the bench, its ideal in the hot greenhouse for warming the shelf above
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
eduart2
Registered Guest

Post by eduart2 »

Tony R wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:40 am I've been banned from using the microwave or oven!
Me too! Some fifteen or sixteen years ago my wife came home quite unexpectedly (few hours earlier than planned)... and that was the end for my dirt cooking!

However, I stopped trying to sterilize the soil some years ago. It depends also on the plants you are growing.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

eduart2 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:39 am
Tony R wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:40 am I've been banned from using the microwave or oven!
Me too! Some fifteen or sixteen years ago my wife came home quite unexpectedly (few hours earlier than planned)... and that was the end for my dirt cooking!

However, I stopped trying to sterilize the soil some years ago. It depends also on the plants you are growing.
No Microwave ... banned from kitchen .... told that good bugs are killed as well as bad bugs .... so I don't bother either
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.