Recommendations, haworthia seeds zero germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
yonnoy
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Recommendations, haworthia seeds zero germination

Post by yonnoy »

hello, do you recommend me anything for this?

Two months ago (in the middle of Summer) I sowed some batches of haworthia seeds, I used baggie method, the seeds were fresh and I watered them with a solution of 90% water and 10% apple vinegar (to prevent fungus), but I got zero germination. I used 50% shadow, but heat was around 30°C, containers usually were some hot. Last month I opened the containers and watered them again and I changed bags and closed them again, and 0 germination. Today I renewed the water, I watered and close them again.

Nowadays I am in Autumn (March to June), temperature is around 27°C, I still use 50% shadow. But, is usefull keep the bags closed? is there any hope to germinate any seeds? can I try another way?
Last edited by yonnoy on Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Recommendations, haworthia seeds zero germination

Post by el48tel »

yonnoy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:42 am hello, do you recommend me anything for this?

Two months ago (in the middle of Summer) I sowed some batches of haworthia seeds, I used baggie method, the seeds were fresh and I watered them with a solution of 90% water and 10% apple vinegar, but I got zero germination. I used 50% shadow, but heat was around 30°C, containers usually were some hot. Last month I opened the containers and watered them again and I changed bags and closed them again, and 0 germination. Today I renewed the water, I watered and close them again.

Nowadays I am in Autumn (March to June), temperature is around 27°C, I still use 50% shadow. But, is usefull keep the bags closed? is there any hope to germinate any seeds? can I try another way?
I'm a beginner too at growing Haworthia. But I think you have identified the problem. 30C is too hot.
I know other forum users will have their own comments.
I have found that below 10C is too cool.
Above 23C is too hot.
If the seeds sit too long in moist conditions at the wrong temperature they do not germinate.
They prefer shadow. Not darkness. Not brilliant light.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

I used to sow most SA succulents mid spring or late summer/early autumn - basically cool, even very cool, and always on a low shelf, under the main staging. I have always used the bag method.

What was the source of the seed? I have always found very poor germination in Gasteria and the very few Haworthia that I have sown. Asphodeloidea tend to be quick to germinate if they are going to, although there are exceptions, especially amongst species from areas of trully extreme climate. Use of a x10 or x20 glass before sowing might prove enlightening in future.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

I too am an amateur, but would agree with the temperatures being too high. Also, I've heard from a quite reputable source that some Haworthia species (the "late flowering ones", if that makes sense, to quote: "truncatas belong to the latest flowering plants in the year together with some maraisii and meiringii"), need a bit older seeds for good germination.

Speaking about disappointments, I have sown 3 or 4 different species in 10+ pots and got absolutely no germination from maughanii in about a month, I am planning to restart them later in the year.
Mat
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Why the 10% vinegar?
I would have though that amount is potentially a problem
yonnoy
Registered Guest

Post by yonnoy »

esp wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:55 pm Why the 10% vinegar?
Hello, because it's an organic antifungal.

Many thanks for your help. I will try with a fresh place and non direct sunlight.
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

yonnoy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:44 pm .... because it's an organic antifungal.
So some folklore claims...................... Eye of newt, claw of toad works at least as well.

Vinegar has gone from something to put on chips to the wonder cure-all saviour of mankind over the past 10 years or so, most especially if the word apple and/or cider comes in front of it.
Last edited by Davey246 on Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

yonnoy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:44 pm
esp wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:55 pm Why the 10% vinegar?
Hello, because it's an organic antifungal.

Many thanks for your help. I will try with a fresh place and non direct sunlight.
Your pH might be way too low as well, it's basically an acidic concoction.
Mat
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I would not add vinegar. Sound like more a risk than something that will contribute to anything good, even if it does. Just boil your soil thoroughly and it can stay in a locked bag or container without any worries from algae or whatever for weeks, long enough for most seeds to germinate. I have been doing this for many years, sowing 100+ pots for most years, with a germination rate of most species I am happy with.

As with a lot of things: keep it simple and stick to what has proven to work. Only do things differently when you know it is an improvement, not just because someone said it should be or you assume it might be. If you are curious, try it out on a small scale first. Don't waist precious seeds on something that has not proven it will work.
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

MatDz wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:08 pm Your pH might be way too low as well, it's basically an acidic concoction.
If there is lime in the compost, acetic acid will react to form calcium acetate. Calcium acetate is alkaline, not acid, as are all salts of weak acids (weak has nothing to do with concentration/strength - it means low levels of ionisation/dissociation - low Ka). This is why chalk, the calcium salt of carbonic acid, is alkaline.
If there is little or nothing alkaline in the compost, the acetic acid will evaporate and have no effect.

All assuming that the compost is not "drowned" with vinegar (which is usually around 6% acetic acid).