North West Cactus Mart UPDATE

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Peter B
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

North West Cactus Mart UPDATE

Post by Peter B »

I am pleased to announce two more sellers at the mart this Saturday. Martin Lowry who has visited South America many times will have propagations from his discoveries while travelling out there. Tracey Marshall who is new to me so it will be interesting to see what she brings. Recommended by Ralph Martin.
Peter B,
Manchester Branch Chairman
NCSS/BCSS member since late 1960's - strong interest in mesembs in general and Lithops in particular, Haworthias and enjoy growing all forms of cacti & succulents
Darren S
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: North West Cactus Mart UPDATE

Post by Darren S »

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed my first visit to the mart. Many thanks to Peter and the Branch for organising it, and the sellers for bringing their plants.

Thankfully, even though Peter helpfully pointed out a stash of free boxes, having to cart everything home to Lancaster on public transport limited the damage to my wallet!
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Yes all credit to the Manchester team. A good mart, pity the attendance was not higher. Good to see a few youngsters with parents. They ARE the next generation.
Excellent catering again ... bacon butty is always the first stop.
AND lastly but most importantly, it was great to see old friends again in person and not on a VDU. Great to swap stories about real plants and .............. buy some!
Pity some of the folk we see here on the forum didn't drag themselves along. It was a great day
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

I dragged myself out of bed at 10:30, had breakfast and went straight back to bed. Quite enough effort for me for today. Two hours on public transport, a packed lunch and talking to people was definitely not on my agenda after the week I had at work. I have too many fast-growing plants already so I was not tempted by sales.

I am glad you all had a good time.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Pattock wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:25 pm I dragged myself out of bed at 10:30, had breakfast and went straight back to bed. Quite enough effort for me for today. Two hours on public transport, a packed lunch and talking to people was definitely not on my agenda after the week I had at work. I have too many fast-growing plants already so I was not tempted by sales.

Leave your work at work. Stop being so cantankerous and miserable towards folk on this forum.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

el48tel wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:26 pm
Pattock wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:25 pm I dragged myself out of bed at 10:30, had breakfast and went straight back to bed. Quite enough effort for me for today. Two hours on public transport, a packed lunch and talking to people was definitely not on my agenda after the week I had at work. I have too many fast-growing plants already so I was not tempted by sales.

Leave your work at work. Stop being so cantankerous and miserable towards folk on this forum.
Wow, really? I leave my work at work but the mental exhaustion of working for the NHS often leaves me somewhat apathetic on a Saturday morning. I thought you might like an explanation as to why some would find your remark "Pity some of the folk we see here on the forum didn't drag themselves along." to be a little snide.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

el48tel wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:05 pm Yes all credit to the Manchester team. A good mart, pity the attendance was not higher. Good to see a few youngsters with parents. They ARE the next generation.
Excellent catering again ... bacon butty is always the first stop.
AND lastly but most importantly, it was great to see old friends again in person and not on a VDU. Great to swap stories about real plants and .............. buy some!
Pity some of the folk we see here on the forum didn't drag themselves along. It was a great day
I would have come but, as I’ve said on other posts, Saturday is a day when I have other priorities. Oh for a Cactus Mart in the midlands/ north of England on a Sunday……
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Good day at the North West Mart and thanks to Peter and the team.
Cindermanrolls. There is an auction and separate plant sales in Birmingham Sunday June 5th.And Tina has an auction Sunday May 22nd near Milton Keynes, but as you say most events are on a Saturday.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

And unfortunately the Northern Mart in Leeds is a Saturday.