I reckon these Haworthia seeds are viable...

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: I reckon these Haworthia seeds are viable...

Post by el48tel »

I'm trying a new method to get them started. More about that later once I have done the comparison.
However in the meantime .... I'm transferring the whole patch of kitchen paper onto the compost rather than decapitate the plant as I attempt to transfer it. I'm wondering whether sowing directly onto compost, despite its problems, is less hazardous.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

I have tried both, and found the "regular" method much easier when some losses are acceptable, but will probably try to go the "Petri dish" approach with some more scarce seeds. The hardest thing was to move the sprouts early enough so that they don't grow into the paper.
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:24 pm I have tried both, and found the "regular" method much easier when some losses are acceptable, but will probably try to go the "Petri dish" approach with some more scarce seeds. The hardest thing was to move the sprouts early enough so that they don't grow into the paper.
Yes ... "early enough" is a difficult decision to make
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

I did this with about 40 seedlings so far on the very first day in noticed that the seeds sprouted and had no casualties. I kept the "target" pots in open zip lock bags for a couple of weeks to increase humidity and help in seedlings early days.
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:04 pm I did this with about 40 seedlings so far on the very first day in noticed that the seeds sprouted and had no casualties. I kept the "target" pots in open zip lock bags for a couple of weeks to increase humidity and help in seedlings early days.
Open rather than closed baggies .... what was your reasoning? Just intrigued
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

The seeds already sprouted, so I assumed the super high humidity wasn't needed any more. I find Haworthia do perfectly fine when the bags are open a couple of days after germination, so planting the little seedlings in open bags seems enough.
Mat
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

MatDz wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:23 am The seeds already sprouted, so I assumed the super high humidity wasn't needed any more. I find Haworthia do perfectly fine when the bags are open a couple of days after germination, so planting the little seedlings in open bags seems enough.
Hi Mat, all my variegates can be sold as long as the price is right. :grin:
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

AllanA wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:29 pm
MatDz wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:23 am The seeds already sprouted, so I assumed the super high humidity wasn't needed any more. I find Haworthia do perfectly fine when the bags are open a couple of days after germination, so planting the little seedlings in open bags seems enough.
Hi Mat, all my variegates can be sold as long as the price is right. :grin:
Too many Haworthia related threads at once :mrgreen:

But to answer you here, price is a significant factor why I am not so keen to collect variegates.
Mat
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

My method of sowing Haworthia seed is to soak the seed for 24 hours, dunking the seed several times in that 24 hours. then sow on sterilised compost.
If I sow in pots, they go in bags for about 3 weeks. If sown in half trays, they have a lid put on and I lightly spray every other day. Lid stays on for about a month.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias