Mystery props thread

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MHS
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KING'S LYNN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Mystery props thread

Post by MHS »

For context, there was a succulent in the back garden which was owned by a relative, but was forgotten about, and was practically on deaths door. It was beyond saving so I took two of the healthiest leaves I could find (with permission of course) before they threw it out. While the original is sadly long gone, I hope to revive it in a way via these props.

First there's prop one, this one is in the main props tray along with the pearl of nurnberg and burros tail props. No sign of roots yet but its leaves are growing at a good pace. Along with the other props it gets sprayed every couple days.
20220513_220257.jpg
Prop two is in one of the two main succulent/cacti pots due to lack of space, the leaves are growing well but due to how fast the main leaf has dried I doubt this one will last. Can't use the spray on this one due to it sharing the soil with other succulents.
20220513_220408.jpg
I will update the thread as they grow, identification will be appreciated when it grows to a large enough size. Thank you for reading and tips for looking after the props will be appreciated I am still very much a novice at this.
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Re: Mystery props thread

Post by Davey246 »

I have only ever left succulent leaves totally dry, good light, but not in full sun. Taken at the "perfect" moment, most will put out roots with no compost.
It looks like a Crassula leaf to me, but I know far too little about hardy leaf-succulents.
Or was it a houseplant summering outdoors? If it was, one of the forms of C. ovata (money tree, jade plant etc.) would fit well.
MHS
Registered Guest

Post by MHS »

Davey246 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:02 am I have only ever left succulent leaves totally dry, good light, but not in full sun. Taken at the "perfect" moment, most will put out roots with no compost.
It looks like a Crassula leaf to me, but I know far too little about hardy leaf-succulents.
Or was it a houseplant summering outdoors? If it was, one of the forms of C. ovata (money tree, jade plant etc.) would fit well.
Thank you for the help, it was a trailing succulent and it was kept outdoors.
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

Sedum?
Again, my experience is far too narrow - in my own experience, sedum leave are slightly cupped - hollow on the upper side.

Someone will be along, but I'd still go with Crassula - lots of hardy species from minute to large.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

MHS wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:29 pm [...] Can't use the spray on this one due to it sharing the soil with other succulents.
Just a quick comment to this, you can easily use a spray bottle or even a "squeeze bottle" (search for "safety wash bottle" on Amazon) to water it a bit, the substrate seems quite peat heavy so won't get wet thoroughly. This of course make sense only if there are some roots forming already, but it won't hurt in general from my experience if done infrequently.
Mat
Aeonium2003
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Aeonium2003 »

I suspect the plant is Senecio jacobsenii. Which seems to match the description.
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

Now renamed Kleinia petraea, it seems to fit the description.
I have never knowingly seen it in the UK as a garden plant, if at all. A quick search suggests that it is uncommon here, and possibly borderline hardy.
MHS
Registered Guest

Post by MHS »

Davey246 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:59 am Now renamed Kleinia petraea, it seems to fit the description.
I have never knowingly seen it in the UK as a garden plant, if at all. A quick search suggests that it is uncommon here, and possibly borderline hardy.
Yes! That one was definitely what it looked like when it was still alive. Thank you.
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

You ows thanks to Aeonium. His suggestion.

If that is the plant, it is probably unusual in the UK. Nice flowers too (or I think so anyway.)
MHS
Registered Guest

Post by MHS »

MatDz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:04 am
MHS wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:29 pm [...] Can't use the spray on this one due to it sharing the soil with other succulents.
Just a quick comment to this, you can easily use a spray bottle or even a "squeeze bottle" (search for "safety wash bottle" on Amazon) to water it a bit, the substrate seems quite peat heavy so won't get wet thoroughly. This of course make sense only if there are some roots forming already, but it won't hurt in general from my experience if done infrequently.
Thank you for the advice, Mat