Tonight’s the night

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MHS
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KING'S LYNN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Tonight’s the night

Post by MHS »

Mike P wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:30 am 4D2F9D6C-423B-4BF9-A1F9-5DC34406B91B.jpegF041BC18-8384-4D48-9D94-B1F4D70F3076.jpeg
Early this morning. Any s :useless: suggestions as to which Trichocereus this is?
Very impressive looking flower there
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Phil_SK wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:58 pm And a not very good photo of mine, Lau 441.
P5130006 copy.jpg
Britton and Rose claimed that the flower doesn't smell. However, the human sense of smell isn't always reliable and sometimes flowers don't release their scent as soon as they open nor does the scent always last until they fade. I wouldn't consider it a good classification characteristic. There was an article in CactusWorld a while back where a scented schickendantzii was given a cultivar name.
Definitely a strong scent - odd and a little lemony - very powerful at 6:30 this morning which I guess it ought to be if you are a night flowering plant. The B&R info seems to have been widely adopted on the internet.
This plant may well have originated from the Rock nursery in Chudleigh who used to raise a lot of Cacti seedlings in the early 70’s.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

meant to say, but forgot, that mine is also lemon scented. Although I am rarely up and about at 6:30am to see if it is stronger then :)
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

Undoubtedly agree that all of these flowers are spectacular.. .
but also agree that I have generally risen my slumbers far too late to enjoy their full display,!!
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Unfortunately with a two year old, I see that time very regularly! If either of you want, I'm sure we could arrange a wake-up call for you both!!! :lol:
Ed

BCSS member 53038