Smel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEICESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

A few pictures....

Post by Smel »

Hi all,
I don't usually do this but, I am a keen photographer (31 years in retail) so perhaps you'd like to see a couple of my pics. For exposure and colour balance I use a kodak grey card, this is a neutral grey colour which can help you correct colour shifts caused by lighting or tricky backgrounds. The grey card is designed to reflect 18% of the light falling on it, this is the same as the light reflected by the "Average scene" Years ago they were made of cardboard and paper, this one is plastic, I finished work 10 years ago and I still use in, with computer software if you edit for a neutral grey, other colours should also be correct (depending on lighting?).

My painted grey backgound on the greenhouse glass is flaking off! So I used the grey card as a background (it's only A4).

Enjoy..

Mel.
REBUTIA KRAINZIANA [2]-07.jpg
Grey card instructions
Grey card instructions
Grey card
Grey card
HOYA CARNOSA 'SWEET-ONE' -03.jpg
AYLOSTERA HOFFMANNII-02.jpg
Open your mind, but not too much, your brain might fall out !!
BCSS Member Leicester.

I also like photography, electronics, model building......etc.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: A few pictures....

Post by el48tel »

Smel wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:46 am Hi all,
I don't usually do this but, I am a keen photographer (31 years in retail) so perhaps you'd like to see a couple of my pics. For exposure and colour balance I use a kodak grey card, this is a neutral grey colour which can help you correct colour shifts caused by lighting or tricky backgrounds. The grey card is designed to reflect 18% of the light falling on it, this is the same as the light reflected by the "Average scene" Years ago they were made of cardboard and paper, this one is plastic, I finished work 10 years ago and I still use in, with computer software if you edit for a neutral grey, other colours should also be correct (depending on lighting?).

My painted grey backgound on the greenhouse glass is flaking off! So I used the grey card as a background (it's only A4).

Enjoy..

Mel.

P1120831.JPG

P1120830.JPG

Mel
If you'd like these to be considered for the May competition, can you post the plant pictures (not the instructions images, which go in the photo and tech section at the end of the forum) in the May thread. The title theme is "hybrids".
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Smel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Smel »

Hi el48tel,
Thanks for your reply, I don't know that I could call the Hoya a "Hybrid" perhaps more just a variation, unless someone knows better!

I've had a good look at the monthly photo comp pages and seeen some really good photography, so I now feel a little strange, you chaps and perhaps ladies seem to know what your doing.
My kits is quite old now a Canon 40D but the 60mm Macro lens does most of the work, giving me a good image size with a good working disance..

Perhaps another month and I will enter something, just for fun!! :grin:
Regards

Mel.
Open your mind, but not too much, your brain might fall out !!
BCSS Member Leicester.

I also like photography, electronics, model building......etc.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Lovely photos, Mel. The photo competition beckons. :smile:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Mel
Without prejudice or favour ...................
1. Not the camera but the guy/gal behind it
2. Have a go .... it's free ... it's fun
3. When I judge the photo competition, I judge the photo not the plant.
Terry
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Smel wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:46 am My kits is quite old now a Canon 40D but the 60mm Macro lens does most of the work, giving me a good image size with a good working distance..
Just had a look on my archive disc for photos using old kit,

From 2001 one of the first Canon DSLRs, a D30 with an even older 50mm macro lens
2001-Canon-D30-50mm-lens.jpg
From 2007 the same Echinopsis hybrid from this month's competition but camera used for this is a Canon 450D with an EF-S 18-55mm lens
2007-Canon-450D-EF-S18-55mm-lens.jpg