John Innes compost replacements

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: John Innes compost replacements

Post by Paul D »

MatDz wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:45 am
Paul D wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:59 am I've had a reply from Melcourt, and they say it is 2/3 bark and 1/3 coir. But they also do a product which is 100% composted bark fines, without the added feriliser. I have ordered a bag to look at.
Your sacrifices won't be forgotten!

Any chances for a quick look at the draft of the article?
I'll send you a pm Mat. I keep adding to the article as I get new information.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

Are worm casts suitable for a cactus mix?

Hard to get info on it. I have read that the PH is about neutral but very little else. I suppose it depends on what the worms have eaten.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

habanerocat wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:23 pm Are worm casts suitable for a cactus mix?
How do you get enough to make it a useful ingredient? Can you buy large quantities?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

I made up a peat-free mix a few weeks ago and kept it outside it a sealed container (with the rest of my composts). When I opened the container it had quite a few small flies- presumably fungus gnats buzzing around in the container. Obviously I've not used this batch for planting. But this is a concern- it has not happened with other compost mixes I've made. I don't mind these flies outside but I keep them out of my growing areas. Letting composts dry between watering is a deterrent but it might not be enough. I see this problem has been highlighted now for peat-free composts used for indoor plants widely in the media but I don't see an easy solution- apart from reducing the organic components of the compost.

Is there a fix for this?
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

SimonT wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:16 pm Is there a fix for this?
I have found the fungus gnat nematodes to be very effective. Maybe treat the whole batch after mixing up a large quantity?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Diatomaceous Earth!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

SimonT wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:16 pm I made up a peat-free mix a few weeks ago and kept it outside it a sealed container (with the rest of my composts). When I opened the container it had quite a few small flies- presumably fungus gnats buzzing around in the container.
Did you use SylvaGrow Ericaceous mix by any chance?
Mat
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

Hi
I was using the Sylvagrow peat free John Innes II as a base to which I added some extra 'mineral' components.
I guess this one batch of compost could have been contaminated by chance- but my other composts are always been fly-free.

Thanks for the suggestions about nematodes and diatomaceous earth. I was considering cooking the compost to kill any flies before trying it in pots. But then worried if I used it then it would still be attractive to new flies that might come in from outside and the problem could begin again. So having options to guard against this is very useful.

I have to say I've used many different 'ecological methods' for growing plants outside for a long time. But for growing inside I generally follow the 'wipe them out' approach to pest control!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

edds wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:30 pm
habanerocat wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:23 pm Are worm casts suitable for a cactus mix?
How do you get enough to make it a useful ingredient? Can you buy large quantities?
I was chatting to the girl in the garden centre and asked her had they any compost that isn't full of sticks and stones. She recommended this green one on the left.

https://livinggreen.ie/index.php?route= ... ry&path=69

Not much info as to what is actually in it unfortunately.
IMG_3764a.jpg
IMG_3763a.jpg
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Looks like it is available from Amazon.
And .....
You can get bags of wombats there too
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.