Plant ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Plant ID please

Post by el48tel »

PSX_20220517_170453.jpg
PSX_20220517_170412.jpg
An acquired plant from a now deceased grower.
I think Echinocereus but please correct me.
Species ID would be appreciated.
Thanks
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Plant ID please

Post by Acid John »

It is a Notocactus. Is it Notocactus mammulosus?
Acid John
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

Notocactus?
I could get the books out for a match, but will leave that to you :-)
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Davey246 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:26 pm Notocactus?
I could get the books out for a match, but will leave that to you :-)
Feel free to check the library and comment. Most happy to receive all offerings. I'm no expert ... my guess was miles out..
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

el48tel wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:52 pm Feel free to check the library and comment. Most happy to receive all offerings. I'm no expert ... my guess was miles out..
Acid John's suggestion is perfectly good - I am no taxonomist or searcher for the ultimate truth in plant I.D., but to me, forms of buinningii and ottonis come close to a fit too.
Nice plant whatever it is.

A rose is still a rose and all that........................
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

The thing it most reminds me of is Notocactus roseoluteus, but of course that has a pink flower.

I am sure I have a plant like it in the GH, will have to have a look round tomorrow.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Davey246 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:50 pm
el48tel wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:52 pm Feel free to check the library and comment. Most happy to receive all offerings. I'm no expert ... my guess was miles out..
Acid John's suggestion is perfectly good - I am no taxonomist or searcher for the ultimate truth in plant I.D., but to me, forms of buinningii and ottonis come close to a fit too.
Nice plant whatever it is.

A rose is still a rose and all that........................
Thanks.
I'm glad it didn't go to the brown bin. TLC ...that's all it took.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Chris L wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:20 pm The thing it most reminds me of is Notocactus roseoluteus, but of course that has a pink flower.

I am sure I have a plant like it in the GH, will have to have a look round tomorrow.
Thanks Chris
Do let folks here know your findings
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Notocactus Mammulosus, easy to grow but a slight bit boring. At least nobody called it a Parodia.

Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Stuart wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:00 am Notocactus Mammulosus, easy to grow but a slight bit boring. At least nobody called it a Parodia.

Stuart
Stuart ... sorry it doesn't float your boat. I acquired it ... I didn’t CHOOSE it .... a closer look this morning would indicate it may have one hell of a flower show soon.