Newbie to my GH at the weekend

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Newbie to my GH at the weekend

Post by el48tel »

Echinocereus kuenzleri was on the label
PSX_20220518_131415.jpg
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Newbie to my GH at the weekend

Post by iann »

I have E. fendleri flowering at the moment. I think E. kuenzleri differs only in being a bit less spiny and having slightly nicer flowers. My flowers are a bit less full than yours with long thin petals, although they are very large and a great colour. This photo isn't from today, but it shows the petals and the plant body. I find it shrinks dramatically in winter and has a rather pointy shape when it plumps up in spring.
fendleri-0523.jpg
Cheshire, UK
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Llifle has the plant as Echinocereus kuenzleri or Echinocereus fendleri v. kuenzleri
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi Terry; E. kuenzleri is a good name and valid.
Although today the thinking is it should be Echinocereus fendleri subsp. kuenzleri ( if you have a long label :smile: )
Your flower is typical of Kuenzleri because of the three rows of petals giving it a fuller look as iann says, ssp. fendleri tends to only have two rows of petals with gaps between and lacks to pointed ends of the petals.
ssp. hempeli seems to be a cross between the two with lighter edges to the petals.
I have not flowered the forth member of the clan E. apachensis so cannot comment on that one, but the thinking is that is now a separate species in its own right.
iann these plants do shrink quite a bit in winter, and a few people who I gave plants to have lost them or had them distort so much that they became a wheelie bin job :eek:
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Ray
Good to hear from you.
I'm not a label man although I do like to know what it is I'm growing to enable me to know what I have killed.
I bought it because I liked the look of it. It has photographic potential.
Thanks for the warning about its possible winter demise. Won't tell the finance director because it was not an elcheapo plant.