Bloody typical

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Re: Bloody typical

Post by Chris L »

Paul D wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:36 am During a wet spell of weather a couple of years ago I made a point of going out in the evenings and collecting up garden snails off the wall of the house. I counted them, bagged them and took them a mile away. By the time I got to 5000 snails I realised I was dealing with an impossible task.
I think that the numbers of snails we catch in traps, or generally see in the wild, is a tiny, tiny proportion of the number that are actually present.
The same as for sticky traps in the greenhouse- it may look like we are catching good numbers of thrips, sciarids, etc., but actually the number trapped is a tiny proportion of the total. Hence why sticky traps are a good indicator of a problem but not a solution.
:shock:

I only throw my snails and slugs into next doors gardens. As mentioned before my theory is that by doing that one increases the population pressure on the neigbouring gardens so the slugs and snails have less food to go round so they breed less in those gardens, thus helping myself and my neighbours in the long run. [tongue firmly in cheek, of course]*.

Putting pellets down IMO in the greenhouse is a bad idea because the whole point of those is they are attractive to slugs and snails as a food source - we want them to eat them after all......

Any attraction traps are going to be better away from our plants, not in the greenhouse (unless one is trying to find a slug or snail already in there....)

[If I find a slug it goes in the bin, snails go over the back wall into the lane behind the house, no point killing them as it is cruel and it only means more will move in from "next door"].
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Nah ... nuke 'em
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Bear in mind that from 1st April this year slug pellets became illegal to use in the UK.
They cause a huge amount of damage if they get into the wrong beaks / mouths. I was told during my pesticides course last month that a single slug pellet in 33km of ditch will cause the water to be over the maximum allowable concentration of pesticides.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

Yea, the old type slug pellets haven't been available here for a few years now and the new ones are useless. Luckily I haven't had a problem.

An open garden helps. Encourage wildlife such as birds and hedgehogs. It's great to look out the back window first thing in the morning to see a thrush hopping a snail off the footpath.
SimonT
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by SimonT »

The old type of slug pellet are banned now (with metaldehyde) but some are still OK according to https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/pest ... deners.pdf

I think barriers are best to control slugs and snails anyway although unfortunately there is always a chance something finds a way in. Maybe just the odd slug pellet if needed to initially clear out "inside" of the barrier.

There are so many slugs and snails around outside that if barriers are not practical I pick plants for the garden with suitable chemical defenses. I find this works really well - for example once hardened off bedding plants like Pelargoniums are just about slug and snail proof! I imagined the equivalent slug-proof plant for C&S maybe a Euphorbia?
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Paul D wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:09 pm Bear in mind that from 1st April this year slug pellets became illegal to use in the UK.
Metaldehyde pellets are illegal, ferric phosphate slug pellets are legal. There does seem to be some dispute about how safe they are in environmental terms, and also how effective.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
The Tunn
BCSS Member

Post by The Tunn »

I find they cross gravel, crushed shells etc. but won't cross Vaseline. A ring of this round a pot will stop them until it gets covered in soil, dust, etc.

Mind you the pots are then very unpleasant to pick up if you gets your hands in the Vaseline..... :roll:
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

The Tunn wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:33 pm I find they cross gravel, crushed shells etc. but won't cross Vaseline. A ring of this round a pot will stop them until it gets covered in soil, dust, etc.

Mind you the pots are then very unpleasant to pick up if you gets your hands in the Vaseline..... :roll:
Nah ... don't work either
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

None of these will totally prevent molluscs crossing but many will deter them to an extent and reduce damage, which isn't good enough for tiny Yavia seedlings, obviously. Having tried grit around my hostas (when they were younger - they seem to cope on their own now they're older) and also garlic water I'd say it helps quite a bit. I've been rubbish at keeping up with the regime this year and my Baptisia and Heliopsis are paying for it. But seedlings that are *that* precious need jars or lidded tubs.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I find grit and a copper ring (have some of the tape but not tried it yet) certainly reduce the munching on the new growth (which I find the worst for plants outside). That and some regular drenches of nematodes to keep the population down a bit.
Ed

BCSS member 53038