Bloody typical

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Davey246
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEICESTER

Re: Bloody typical

Post by Davey246 »

el48tel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:21 pm Nobody told the slugs and snails here in GOC not to cross fine gravel .... little beggars here must have bellies like elephant skin.
There are various "sure-fire" ways to keep slugs and snails at bay - crushed eggshells, grit, soot, coffee grounds, tea leaves, the urine of a virgin maiden collected at mid-night after the last full moon in August............. Probably none work.

I have even stripped copper cable to encircle my raised beds with copper wire - no small task. Total waste of time.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Davey246 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:50 pm I have even stripped copper cable to encircle my raised beds with copper wire - no small task. Total waste of time.
There is copper tape you could buy. I have it in use for the plants on a table on my balcony (mostly African summer growing bulbs that slugs do like), got the copper tape wrapped around the legs of the table. I get the idea it helps.

One would expect slugs not to go up two floors every night and just stay on ground level. One would be wrong.
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

I have read of slugs and snails finding acceptable dining at totally silly heights and making it their home.

HOW? WHY? Do they have the most amazing sensors for detecting food?
FredG
Registered Guest

Post by FredG »

Copper wire and tape, aluminium tape ( it's cheaper) all work perfectly if there's two rings 1/4 " or so apart connected to a 9v battery. I used crocodile clips on tape tabs.

The slug/snail makes the circuit.

Without the battery, forget it.
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

FredG wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:07 pm Copper wire and tape, aluminium tape ( it's cheaper) all work perfectly if there's two rings 1/4 " or so apart connected to a 9v battery. I used crocodile clips on tape tabs.

I would suggest that an electic fence (circuit) works, not any particular wire/metal.

I could set up such a circuit around raised beds, preferably using a low volt supply rather than a battery, but would the hours of time taken be worth it..................... Life is FAR too short.
Unless the conductors were laid on something non-conducting (not damp wood or suchlike), which shed water (rain) PDQ, the drain on a battery would be considerable and a considerable hassle.

I have fried many a slug (and mouse), on conventional livestock electric fencing wire set VERY close to an earthed fence, but if there was any significant constant drain from the live wire, the fence controller itself would fry - they are designed with no drain being the norm.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

FredG wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:07 pm Copper wire and tape, aluminium tape ( it's cheaper) all work perfectly if there's two rings 1/4 " or so apart connected to a 9v battery. I used crocodile clips on tape tabs.

:ugeek:

Love the idea, bookmarked!
Mat
FredG
Registered Guest

Post by FredG »

There is an alternative to it all.

Feed the gastropods :grin:

They're partial to wholemeal bread, Cheddar cheese (grated) and grains (wild bird food).

Then there's no reason for them to attack your plants and you'll have many "friends" calling round for dinner every evening.
Fred
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

A friend used to use beer too. They were attracted and drowned themselves. What a way to go!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

During a wet spell of weather a couple of years ago I made a point of going out in the evenings and collecting up garden snails off the wall of the house. I counted them, bagged them and took them a mile away. By the time I got to 5000 snails I realised I was dealing with an impossible task.
I think that the numbers of snails we catch in traps, or generally see in the wild, is a tiny, tiny proportion of the number that are actually present.
The same as for sticky traps in the greenhouse- it may look like we are catching good numbers of thrips, sciarids, etc., but actually the number trapped is a tiny proportion of the total. Hence why sticky traps are a good indicator of a problem but not a solution.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
FredG
Registered Guest

Post by FredG »

Paul D wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:36 am I think that the numbers of snails we catch in traps, or generally see in the wild, is a tiny, tiny proportion of the number that are actually present.
I'll second that :grin:

Fred