Plant Labels

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Davey246
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEICESTER

Plant Labels

Post by Davey246 »

As mentioned elsewhere, my stock of Rowland labels is running low..................

Rather extreme maybe, but I am in the process of changing to black labels using an engraver to write on them. OK, I already had the engraver, so that expense was avoided, but this sort of thing - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Engrave ... C72&sr=8-5

Black labels SHOULD last longer than any colour as the black absorbs the destructive UV that makes all plastics brittle.

Down sides - not readable at any distance and labels cannot be reused on any one side.

Just throwing it out there for use in particular with plants that are long-term residents of one pot, especially where label degredation is easily missed. (I also push labels as far into the pot/compost as possible, mostly so as not to detract from the plant, and also to extend the life of the label.)
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Plant Labels

Post by Paul in Essex »

I've been using black labels for some years. Using Brother P-Touch white on clear tape the name is clear to read and the label lasts seemingly decades. The ones I did first of all are still as good as the day I did them, which must be approaching 20 years ago. Certainly 15. I started to use black labels, rather than white, as they are less obtrusive for the plants that I grow outside or planted out in my greenhouse. Plus, being rather fond of experimenting, I do get a few losses and the white ones ended up looking like a cemetery :lol:
IMG_20220521_092716.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

@Paul in Essex
Those look rather smart
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Thank you!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Dare I say " professional " Paul ( now you have me thinking ).
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.