Weingartia purpurea LAU 336

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Acid John
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Weingartia purpurea LAU 336

Post by Acid John »

Another 'Windyridge' from 1983 still flowering. I presume it is called something else nowadays?
20220523_130910.jpg
Acid John
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Weingartia purpurea LAU 336

Post by el48tel »

Regardless ..... super plant
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I’ve always known it as a Sulcorebutia though the Lau connection is often tactfully omitted these days
Stuart
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi John
It is still called Weingartia purpurea ( Donald & A B Lau 1974 ).
I think while we are talking plants the name Lau is OK , but I know where Stuart is coming from.
However the subsp. santiaginiensis is or was classed as a Sulco :roll:
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

It does seem to flower from lower down than other Weingartia that I have.
Acid John
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Ah, the old names issue again... :lol:

In spite of any DNA studies, pronouncements from professors of taxonomy, etc., growers will always call plants what they want to. Personally I call mine Simon. In railway modelling, we call it "Rule No. 1" which is, they are my plants, I can do what I like :lol:

Seriously though, if you agree that Sulcorebutia and Weingartia are not definable discreet things, with plenty of overlap of characteristics and genetics, (and plenty of plants which could quite happily sit in either of them), and are a lot more closely related than many other cactus genera (for example Rebutia and Aylostera), then I'm happy to be told and to accept there should really just be one genus. Weingartia is an older name than Sulcorebutia, so (involking Rule 1!) Sulcorebutia goes.

But you pays your money and you takes your choice! With these plants there are always going to be arguments.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk