Succulent winner of Chelsea plant of the year

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Succulent winner of Chelsea plant of the year

Post by edds »

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/garde ... year-2022/

Surreal Succulents have won it with one of their X Semponium hybrids. Nice Aeonium 'Jubilee' from Ottershaw Cacti too.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aeonium2003
Registered Guest

Re: Succulent winner of Chelsea plant of the year

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Thanks for sharing! I can't find much information about this Aeonium 'Jubilee'. I'd assume it has both Zwartkop and Tabuliforme in its parentage.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Well done to them!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Not completely accurate since × Semponium 'Sienna' was runner up.

See: https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/rhs ... f-the-year

Mangaves featured on the short-list as well.

Aeonium 'Jubilee' from Daniel Jackson was featured (for about a second!) on the BBC2 coverage this evening.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

However much I look at these Aeonium x Sempervivun hybrids, and I’m not paying £45 for a small single head, I can’t see any sign of Sempervivum in them. Aeoniums we’re originally included as Sempervivums when they first came into cultivation though. Surreal is a good name

Stuart
Aeonium2003
Registered Guest

Post by Aeonium2003 »

The sempervivum part shows mostly in the flowers. Other than that, I have to agree, that there are few sempervivum traits.
Screenshot of semponium flowers:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 6.33.01 PM.png
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Apicra wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:48 pm Not completely accurate since × Semponium 'Sienna' was runner up.

See: https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/rhs ... f-the-year

Mangaves featured on the short-list as well.

Aeonium 'Jubilee' from Daniel Jackson was featured (for about a second!) on the BBC2 coverage this evening.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
That was 2021 Derek. They entered 'Destiny' and 'Diamond' this year and 'Destiny' won the 2022 apparently. Can't find an official press release yet though from the RHS. Have to say I'm surprised they've won, the prize almost always goes to a plant from one of the big wholesalers that can do lots of promotion!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

@Stuart
In a few months time, it'll be readily available at a few pounds as it becomes freely cloned. Regardless of name etc supposedly protected.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

RHS site seems to be temperamental/awkward to use but this should be link to their news page https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/rhs ... f-the-year
InvAloe

Post by InvAloe »

Stuart wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:37 am However much I look at these Aeonium x Sempervivun hybrids, and I’m not paying £45 for a small single head, I can’t see any sign of Sempervivum in them. Aeoniums we’re originally included as Sempervivums when they first came into cultivation though. Surreal is a good name

Stuart
Which makes it all the more interesting when you read the account by the breeder on their website that the Sempervivum was the seed parent. I've been crossing various hybrids and species of Aloe and although it's early days for most of them, I've found that some tend to be quite dominant over the other parent. One especially, that I acquired as 'Sabra', which is supposed to be a cross between albiflora and bellatula, appears so far to be very dominant in terms of plant form and leaf characteristics no matter if it's used as the seed or pollen parent.