Root Grow

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Rich45s
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Root Grow

Post by Rich45s »

Hi,

I’m sure this has been discussed before and I think I might have even started a topic like this before but searching ‘root grow’ unsurprisingly brings up rather a lot of unrelated threads so I’ll ask again

Monty Don seems to throw this ‘Root Grow’ substance in most of his planting holes prior to sticking the plant in and he swears by it.

I have been doing it on a smaller scale and I’m wondering does this stuff help cacti & succulents more, less or roughly the same as other plants

It’s a mycorrhizal fungi so I’m sure there’s other brands or techniques

Thank you for any advice
BCSS Member 52305
Rich45s
BCSS Member

Re: Root Grow

Post by Rich45s »

Actually using its proper name Rootgrow as one word brings up answers from other threads about this

I hadn’t realised the products name was one word
BCSS Member 52305
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

A friend is a landscape gardener and he tried it in the early days of availability for woody plants and it saved him money by using it.

As for other types of plants......................
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - I.T.

Post by Paul D »

There was a discussion about it here:
viewtopic.php?t=161357

I don't know if following this, anyone actually did a trial (i.e. comparing with and without RootGrow).
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

I used it with some comatose ariocarpus that were imported from Japan & must have been unpotted & in transit for months, I had had them over a year & no growth or waking up, sprayed the dried roots with water & added the granules to roots & potting hole and they did finally get growing so I do still use it for plants that are a bit more fussy or have lost their roots.
Not sure I would use it everywhere, most plants don't need it, I even saw them trying to 'sell me some' with my privet hedge.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

Tina wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:17 pmI even saw them trying to 'sell me some' with my privet hedge.
Based on the plus and minus experiments by my friend, it would have been beneficial.
Depending on soil, weather and much else, hedging can be awkward to get going, even privet, although a professional can't go round nursing things along like a keen, knowledgeable and interested householder can.
Rich45s
BCSS Member

Post by Rich45s »

That’s all very interesting. Cheers

I think (and I’m happy with cost/size) I’ll keep using it for smaller indoor plants and when I finally move. Might use some on decent plants in the garden but not necessarily all.
BCSS Member 52305