Opuntia kuehnrichiana

This forum is for discussion about small Opuntias, open to all.
jerryb23
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORWICH
Role within the BCSS: Member

Opuntia kuehnrichiana

Post by jerryb23 »

That's what the very old label says.

I've had this plant for over 25 years and restarted it a few times. It's slow growing but flowers reliably in full sun.
Attachments
20220615_115849.jpg
20220615_115836.jpg
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Re: Opuntia kuehnrichiana

Post by ianstrutt »

Lovely looking plant - not one I've come across before
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter.
jerryb23
BCSS Member

Post by jerryb23 »

from what I've been able to find out it appears that Kuehnrichiana is the northern most form of Cumulopuntia Sphaerica coming from central Peru.

My plant has an upright and slowly branching habit with fierce golden spination.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

jerryb23 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:33 pm from what I've been able to find out it appears that Kuehnrichiana is the northern most form of Cumulopuntia Sphaerica coming from central Peru.
Indeed, Jerry, but I don't think your plant is that?
Paul Hoxey reserves sphaerica/kuehnrichiana for the plants with larger segments.
Your plant, if I've judged the size correctly from the photo, looks more like one of the smaller segment forms of 'sphaerica' which Paul would now call Cumulopuntia leucophaea.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
jerryb23
BCSS Member

Post by jerryb23 »

Tony R wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:25 pm Paul Hoxey reserves sphaerica/kuehnrichiana for the plants with larger segments.
Your plant, if I've judged the size correctly from the photo, looks more like one of the smaller segment forms of 'sphaerica' which Paul would now call Cumulopuntia leucophaea.
Tony, you are correct that my kuehnrichiana labelled plant has very small segments (up to 2.5cm) and having now read Paul Hoxey's "A brief review of Cumulopuntia sphaerica (parts 1-3)" I agree that kuehnrichiana should have much larger segments than my plant but I'm not convinced that leucophaea is correct either as Philippi describes this as having prostrate branches whereas every stem of my plants remain upright even with 7 or 8 segments (the most I have grown). Although I doubt that plants in habitat could stay this erect due weather conditions.

I have attached some close up photo's of my plants and comparing these with the photo's in Hoxey's review I am now leaning towards C. Unguispina?

Incidentally, the flowering stem has been in a 2 inch pot and neglected for over 10 years and is 7 segments tall.
Attachments
20220616_102828.jpg
20220616_102754.jpg
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

Hi Jerry,
Nice plants. Yes, i agree, it is difficult to assign 'new' old names to plants that have been in cultivation in our collections. Nothing beats having plants with Paul's collection numbers with his associated ascribed names.
Tony Roberts
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
jerryb23
BCSS Member

Post by jerryb23 »

Yes, it's difficult to change names from what they were acquired as but at least it's prompted me to repot the neglected plants and I might add "(Unguispina?)" to the label.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

I have one with an ISI 1525 number on the label
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

Chris in Leeds wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:18 pm I have one with an ISI 1525 number on the label

ISI 1525 at the time was labelled Opuntia sphaerica Forst. This low, subprostate Tephrocactus forms chains of globular joints covered with curving spines.
These are rooted cuttings of plants (UCBG 60.1130) collected in November 1957 by P.C. Hutchinson #1830 at the summit (2,800m) of the Mollando Road, 23km west of Arequipa, Prov. Arequipa, Peru.

(UCBG = University of California Botanic Garden at Berkeley campus, Oakland)
Tony Roberts
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Thanks Tony I will make a note of that information as I couldn’t find anything on the web about it
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/