Agave xleopoldii finally flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Agave xleopoldii finally flowers

Post by Colin Walker »

My largest plant of Agave xleopoldii is finally strutting its stuff.

This has been a show winner and has featured in CW twice, initially as a Presidential Potted Plant back in 2018.

Last year it showed signs of flowering with the centre of the rosette shortening its leaves.

Then bizarrely one of the offsets has flowered.

tempImagen7HrMI.gif

And now finally the main rosette is flowering.

tempImage1hZLXg.gif

It's produced a few offsets over the years so all is not lost, but after flowering the main plant can make way for something new, especially since it's in a very attractive, large glossy black glazed ceramic pan.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Agave xleopoldii finally flowers

Post by el48tel »

An interesting looking plant
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Looking forward to seeing how that one looks in full flower Colin. Do you know if it will set seed as a hybrid? I understand many Agave hybrids are still fertile.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

edds wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:44 pm Looking forward to seeing how that one looks in full flower Colin. Do you know if it will set seed as a hybrid? I understand many Agave hybrids are still fertile.
Since this is already a hybrid I've no interest in producing seed. Also this is the only agave in flower here right now.

But for sure I'll post regular updates as the spike develops.

First off is the plant in all its glory a few years back around 60 cm across. Sorry for the uncropped pic. :shock:

Agave xleopoldii IMG_7870.JPG
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

A week later and the spike is now 45 cm tall and growing fast. :grin:

tempImagewvUPDG.gif
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Agave Leopoldii has an optimum size when it looks really good, with short leaves and distinct curly filiaments. This is about 6ins across when it makes a perfect sales plant. After that it starts to lose its looks and the leaves get longer and the filiaments a bit scraggy. Mine went under the staging and I didn't notice it had flowered until the flower was over. The flower stem was curled around where it hit the underside of the staging. There's a nice variegated form 'Hammer Time' (nothing to do with Steve) but even that has an optimum size. It's not easily available nowadays as the only lady who could reliably produce variegated Agaves from tissue culture is now only producing smaller quantities for one retail nursery. While normal Agaves will grow easily from tissue culture it doesn't work well with variegates.

Stuart
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Stuart wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:04 am Agave Leopoldii has an optimum size when it looks really good, with short leaves and distinct curly filiaments. This is about 6ins across when it makes a perfect sales plant. After that it starts to lose its looks and the leaves get longer and the filiaments a bit scraggy. Mine went under the staging and I didn't notice it had flowered until the flower was over. The flower stem was curled around where it hit the underside of the staging. There's a nice variegated form 'Hammer Time' (nothing to do with Steve) but even that has an optimum size. It's not easily available nowadays as the only lady who could reliably produce variegated Agaves from tissue culture is now only producing smaller quantities for one retail nursery. While normal Agaves will grow easily from tissue culture it doesn't work well with variegates.

Stuart
My main plant at 50 - 60 cm across still looked great and won show prizes. But last year it started the slow process of flowering and certainly then lost its appeal.

I too have the variegate 'Hammer Time' and that too looks good, although I only have a single smallish plant of this, which is much slower growing than the standard plant and in my hands doesn't offset as much.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Looking good Colin,
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Now 80 cm tall. On some days I reckon this has grown a stonking 10 cm. :grin: :grin: :grin: This is in a very warm conservatory which I'm sure encourages a good rate of growth. However at sometime soon this is being moved outdoors so it's growth isn't stunted by hitting the conservatory roof. :shock: :shock:

tempImageCsvHkh.gif
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Now 95 cm tall so that's grown 15 cm in just two days. :grin: :grin: .

I've decided not to move this outdoors since I really don't think this is going to hit the conservatory roof. One description I found gave the spike height as 5.5 feet = 1.65 m which can be accommodated where it is.

tempImage0Lr8OJ.gif

The buds are developing slowly.

tempImage42Fn2j.gif
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS