Agave xleopoldii finally flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Agave xleopoldii finally flowers

Post by Colin Walker »

Now 1.27 m tall and probably not far off its maximum height.

tempImagePBfdYK.gif

Buds are developing fast.

tempImageoxUHLZ.gif
Last edited by Colin Walker on Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

We've been away for 5 days and look what's also now in flower.

This is one of David Kirkbright's Agave victoriae-reginae that I've had for 8 years.

tempImageStZayG.gif

Didn't realise it was in flower. :shock:

tempImage0kUE7Q.gif

When I got the plant from David it was repotted, but first around 300 dead leaves were removed.

IMG_5590.JPG

And here's the end result.

IMG_5580.JPG

I've flowered this species once before when my largest plant was around 30 years old. I'd guess that David's plant is of a similar age.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Very good, Colin. The spike found a way of escaping from under the shelf.
Of course, I also like the two plants at the top right and bottom right of the first photo. :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Some surprise, good that its had 8 good years.
Maybe you could make an interesting hybrid, it would be fun to try
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Tony R wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:23 pm Very good, Colin. The spike found a way of escaping from under the shelf.
Of course, I also like the two plants at the top right and bottom right of the first photo. :wink:
Well Tony, that was a mistake letting cacti into the shot. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Tina wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:32 pm Some surprise, good that its had 8 good years.
Maybe you could make an interesting hybrid, it would be fun to try
Nah Tina, all these flowering agaves are destined for the compost heap to make way for some smaller stuff.

I've flowered A. victoriae-reginae once so I've already got that badge. :grin:

I also need a giant A. oteroi (aka A. titanota) to flower too since that's also taking up way too much space and after 20 years+ is looking somewhat tatty. :shock:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Make the cross & send the seed to the seed pool.
Yes you need more variegated agaves, normally smaller & prettier :grin:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Tina wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:09 pm Make the cross & send the seed to the seed pool.
Yes you need more variegated agaves, normally smaller & prettier :grin:
IMHO there are already way too many agave hybrids.

On that front, my hardback copy of Agaves species, cultivars & hybrids has finally arrived along with a pile of other books from my mate across the pond. This book is a stunning feast of agave images - amongst the best ever published in my view.

What I did learn is that there's a nothogenus (cross between different genera) I'd never heard of before: xHansara, which is Agave x Manfreda x Polianthes. Now whether this is a validly published name I've yet to check. For me, these crosses are simply Agave hybrids since the genera Manfreda & Polianthes are now subsumed into Agave.

On the down side there are several factual errors in the book, especially relating to the infrageneric classification (Sections should have been used not groups on pp. 109-110). I'll pass over these but it's a pity that a taxonomist didn't look at the draft of the book since these errors could have been quickly eliminated.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

FYI, having had brekkas I've checked xHansara (Agave x Manfreda x Polianthes) in IPNI and POWO (Kew) and neither recognise this nothogeneric name, so for now I'm taking this as not being validly published. However, IPNI has missed other names in the past which I've corrected and updated, so this isn't my final word on the issue.

This name may have been "published" online or in a nursery catalogue and as such could easily be overlooked by the compilers of IPNI.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Plant Delights Nursery online catalogue has this to say:

"Here's a new one for even the most seasoned plant nerds. xHansara, named after our friend and mangave breeder Hans Hansen, is the first ever released tri-generic hybrid between Agave, Manfreda, and Polianthes (tuberose). xHansara 'Jumping Jacks' combines the genes of Agave gypsophila ssp. pablocarrilloi, Agave macroacantha, Manfreda maculosa, Polianthes tuberosa, and Polianthes howardii...whew, just thinking about all that sex makes me tired."

Now, I'm not sure if this constitutes valid publication - this needs to be checked. But as I've said already for me personally I'm not too fussed about this since 'Jumping Jacks' is merely an Agave hybrid hence I'd label this Agave 'Jumping Jacks' and leave it at that. :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS