Huge flower ... or small plant

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Huge flower ... or small plant

Post by peter831shaw »

I have a really nice large pot of Huernia pillansii and a few cuttings, this is the only one to flower.
IMG_1471.JPG
How does everyone keep the stems so green? Too much light or not enough water?
Peter Shaw
Colin Walker
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Huge flower ... or small plant

Post by Colin Walker »

peter831shaw wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:27 pm I have a really nice large pot of Huernia pillansii and a few cuttings, this is the only one to flower.

IMG_1471.JPG

How does everyone keep the stems so green? Too much light or not enough water?
Peter, you're doing fine if at least one plant has flowered. Mine has just lost its roots so I'm back to rerooting. :shock:

I rarely give advice on growing stapeliads since I've had so so many failures over many decades. I find many spp. do really well for a time and then go downhill fast.

For instance I've a Piaranthus that's now a pan of cuttings and this genus should be amongst the easiest to grow. Whereas in contrast I've a friend who grows a beautiful and floriferous Rhytidocaulon on his kitchen windowsill and I'm dead jealous. This is a genus that's renowned for being very tricky.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
peter831shaw
Registered Guest

Re: Huge flower ... or small plant

Post by peter831shaw »

Thanks, mine also go from "nice plant" to nice cuttings.
Peter Shaw