Root loss on my Parodia

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Rich66
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Root loss on my Parodia

Post by Rich66 »

I’ve just noticed that one of my Parodia’s was leaning over in the pot. I only repotted it a few months ago and the roots where strong and I didn’t water it for about a week or more to let the roots heal. I thought I better investigate to see what was going on and to my horror the majority of the roots have disappeared and the old root ball was broken up in the compost. The bottom of the plant is firm and not rotted and some roots still do exist. I didn’t plant it in the biggest of pots to start with so I was going to repot it anyway. I’ve planted it in a bigger pot with fresh soil now. I’ve always watered this plant every two weeks. Can anyone give me some advice please on what to do?
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Root loss on my Parodia

Post by Tony R »

Vine weevil grubs, maybe?
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Rich66
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Root loss on my Parodia

Post by Rich66 »

I couldn’t see anything. I checked the soil thoroughly. I’ve repotted the cactus into a new pot with fresh soil now. Is this the correct procedure to try and regenerate roots? Or should I leave it out of any soil? Not sure what to do for the best. Please can anyone advice me on the best way to do it?