Advice on growing from seed?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MHS
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KING'S LYNN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Advice on growing from seed?

Post by MHS »

Planted the seeds that were sent with my BCSS welcome pack today. First time growing succulents from seed so advice is appreciated.

Left is Conophytum Bilobum
Middle is Agave pedunoudifera
Right is Parodia Microsperma
20220710_114314.jpg
They won't be left outside they will be moved to a windowsill. How often should they be watered?
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Advice on growing from seed?

Post by MatDz »

I don't remember if there is a seed sowing guide attached to the welcome pack, and if it is, whether it stresses enough different germination times and humidity needs, but the three genera you have here will germinate in vastly different pace. From my experience:

* Conophytum should be done in 7-10 days and should be moved to reduced humidity soon after, but will need colder nights, easily down to 10C; I don't think they'll germinate in high summer, so you might have another chance later in the year;
* Agave will need more time and could stay in high humidity a tad longer; Should germinate now if I remember correctly;
* Parodia - I have never sown this particular cacti genus, but others I sowed took anything from weeks to months to germinate (or not and went to the shelf of shame to wait for another try...), and then can quite safely be kept very humid for a year+.

I bet we've all done that ;) My first were Crassula, Faucaria and Graptopetalum, I still have some Faucarias alive I think, the rest didn't make it past germination...
Last edited by MatDz on Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat
MHS
Registered Guest

Post by MHS »

Alright, thank you Mat
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Going to be tricky all in the same container. The Agaves will be big plants while the cacti will still be tiny specks and the Conophytums probably won't germinate at all until the weather cools down a bit. None of them should be too difficult to germinate at the right temperature. Best results will come from covering the containers to maintain high humidity without having to have to soil completely soaking, especially for the cactus and Conophytums seeds which are small and should be sown on the surface of the soil. Alternatively, you can germinate them just by keeping them standing in water, assuming the soil is suitable. Especially the Agaves can be done this way as they don't need to be kept covered after germination. The Parodias will ideally be kept covered for a few weeks to several months after germination, but you might have to uncover them if the soil isn't sterile enough because all sorts of unwanted things will grow on it. The Conophyums can also be kept covered for a few weeks after germination, but no more than that. Keep the Parodia seedlings out of direct sun for the first few months, dappled shade perhaps after a few weeks. The Agaves can go into the sun as soon as they come up. The Conophytums can be grown in direct sun, but they are tiny and prone to overheating so it is tricky. Growing them not in the summer makes things a whole lot easier with Conophytums.
Cheshire, UK
MHS
Registered Guest

Post by MHS »

Thank you, I've got a cover that fits the tray. Also got some pots I can transfer the agaves to when they are large enough, hopefully I can do so before they take up too much space.
Smel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Smel »

Hi All,
For the last 2 years I have used the Baggy meathod! of seed sowing. I Use small 2" pots, water compost well, microwave compost to kill everything off, cool. Sow seeds on top. I put 4 pots in a small Tesco freezer bag, these have handles, making tying up and sealing easy, with everything sealed in the bag including water (just a few CC) Some seeds are up in a few days. Keep in the bags for 6-8 weeks, then un-bag and keep them going until large enough to prick out... Into trays.

I believe I got this idea from Paul Doyle! https://www.forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=171130 I'm not that cleaver!! This year I got about 60 Conophytums from one packet, and plants from seed a few years old.

Regards

Mel.
Seeds2022_3.jpg
Seeds2022_2.jpg
Seeds2022.jpg
Open your mind, but not too much, your brain might fall out !!
BCSS Member Leicester.

I also like photography, electronics, model building......etc.