Coryphantha Andreae discolouration

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Coryphantha Andreae discolouration

Post by ianstrutt »

Hi all,

I picked up this coryphantha andreae last night to check it and I was greeted on the side I couldn't see with this large amount of discolouration, including on one of the small offsets.

This side has been reasonably close to the painted brick wall behind it for the past month or so - does anyone have any suggestions what could be causing this? The plant appears otherwise healthy, although hasn't flowered this year.
thumbnail_image0.jpg
Thanks!
Ian
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Coryphantha Andreae discolouration

Post by Mal L »

Probably red spider mites. Like mealy bugs they always seem to know which is the opposite side of the plant from the viewer, so that by the time you know they are there they have multiplied and the damage is done!
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
ianstrutt
Registered Guest

Post by ianstrutt »

Mal L wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:03 pm Probably red spider mites. Like mealy bugs they always seem to know which is the opposite side of the plant from the viewer, so that by the time you know they are there they have multiplied and the damage is done!
I was wondering if it could be that - what's the go-to treatment for them?
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

I had good results with 3 weeks buried in/under diatomaceous earth and then regular applications of contact pesticides based on "fatty acids". Search for "RHS pesticides for gardeners" pdf.
Mat
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

If you can't see the mites I would go for scorch myself. Perhaps a heat pocket beside the white wall. Have a look here.

http://northants.bcss.org.uk/nl171/nl171scorch.htm
ianstrutt
Registered Guest

Post by ianstrutt »

MatDz wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:59 pm I had good results with 3 weeks buried in/under diatomaceous earth and then regular applications of contact pesticides based on "fatty acids". Search for "RHS pesticides for gardeners" pdf.
I’ve got some sb invigorator on the way. Will treat everything as I have another coryphantha that almost definitely has rsm.
habanerocat wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:16 pm If you can't see the mites I would go for scorch myself. Perhaps a heat pocket beside the white wall. Have a look here.

http://northants.bcss.org.uk/nl171/nl171scorch.htm
I can’t see mites, although I’ve not looked very hard. The more I think about it, the more I think scorch is the issue. The difference between the side facing the wall and the other side is stark. One to chalk up to inexperience I think!

habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Coryphantha are like Mammillaria. It will grow out in time.