I'm thinking Gymnocalycium maybe

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
stechad
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

I'm thinking Gymnocalycium maybe

Post by stechad »

Hi
Here's another of my unidentified cactus after a bit of a look around the net and using Plantnet app I think that it is a Gymnocalycium sp, A flower bud has just appeared a couple of days ago, hopefully this will make through to a flower which might make an ID easier. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Stechad
Varied collection of Cacti & Succulents, Grown cacti since mid 70s as a kid but only recently taken a real interest.
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: I'm thinking Gymnocalycium maybe

Post by Diane »

It isn’t a Gymnocalycium, they have naked buds, and yours is fluffy. I’m not sure what it is, maybe someone with more knowledge will be able to help.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
stechad
Registered Guest

Post by stechad »

Diane wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:23 am It isn’t a Gymnocalycium, they have naked buds, and yours is fluffy. I’m not sure what it is, maybe someone with more knowledge will be able to help.
Thanks Diane,
couldn't find a pic with just buds on
Stechad
Varied collection of Cacti & Succulents, Grown cacti since mid 70s as a kid but only recently taken a real interest.
stechad
Registered Guest

Post by stechad »

Could it be a Coryphantha!
Steve
Stechad
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

I wonder if it might not be Matucana krahnii. You'll know soon enough if the bud develops.

It's not a Coryphantha by the way. They also have naked buds, as well as grooved tubercles.
stechad
Registered Guest

Post by stechad »

KarlR wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:11 pm I wonder if it might not be Matucana krahnii. You'll know soon enough if the bud develops.

It's not a Coryphantha by the way. They also have naked buds, as well as grooved tubercles.
You could be correct, mine also has two little pups developing at the bottom which would be right, mine doesn't have the long spines at the top but the pics could be of older plants. Hopefully it will flower a large ish red/orange colour.
Stechad
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

stechad wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:02 pm
KarlR wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:11 pm I wonder if it might not be Matucana krahnii. You'll know soon enough if the bud develops.

You could be correct, mine also has two little pups developing at the bottom which would be right, mine doesn't have the long spines at the top but the pics could be of older plants. Hopefully it will flower a large ish red/orange colour.
You'll definitely know if the flower develops. Make sure to post if it does!
Overcrasher
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Overcrasher »

I would say this is an Acanthocalycium just by looking at the areoles, the spines and the position of the flower bud.
stechad
Registered Guest

Post by stechad »

Overcrasher wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:48 pm I would say this is an Acanthocalycium just by looking at the areoles, the spines and the position of the flower bud.
The arrangement of the tubercles doesn't look right, mine are alternating rather than in vertical rows!
Steve
Stechad