Pest control

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Pest control

Post by Stuart »

I've not used an air compressor but I've mentioned a few times on the Forum that a careful jet of water will remove around 99% of mealy mugs along with their egg fluff and sooty mould. It obviously needs to be done outside the greenhouse. For a quick fix, even an outdoor tap will work well. The 1% that are left are left and washed into the top dressing and will return so its not a cure but does get rid of most and a SB or Bug Clear spray should deal with the rest. Mealies really shouldn't be a problem if they're dealt with as soon as they're noticed.

Stuart
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

juster wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:04 pm Although Bug Clear Ultra is supposed to kill the little blighters, I've not found it very effective. This year I've returned to the old method of dabbing them with a small paintbrush dipped in meths. Works well on those I can see :roll: but continued vigilance is needed.
Bug Clear Ultra isn't what it used to be. Now basically just oil and pyrethrins.
Cheshire, UK
JonNo
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by JonNo »

habanerocat wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:55 am Has anybody ever used an air-compressor to blow off insects from plants?

Sounds like a plan, but where do you blow them off to?
Does this work in practice or just help to spread them around?
I think I've mentioned before on here I've used an oral irrigator before now, and because it produces a narrow "aim-able" jet it works quite well, though you do have to do it outside so what gets blown away just scatters... It has proved to be one of the more useful things I've bought the missus!
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

I'm not sure which formulation of Bug Clear Ultra is being used-there are different active ingredients. Bug Clear Ultra contains acetamiprid, Bug Clear Ultra 2 uses rapeseed oil and pyrethrum as the active ingredients.
I quite like the Ready To Use (RTU) spray for spot treating any outbreaks (I use the Bug Clear Ultra RTU spray for this), although it usually requires a repeat treatment to clear up the problem.
Of course I just follow the instructions that come with the pesticide for how to treat my plants.
I have noticed that a plant that has suffered a previous mealy outbreak is more likely to get another one in a later year. I guess this might be eggs or other stages surviving treatment or it might be that some plants are just very attractive to mealys!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

SimonT wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:28 am I'm not sure which formulation of Bug Clear Ultra is being used-there are different active ingredients. Bug Clear Ultra contains acetamiprid, Bug Clear Ultra 2 uses rapeseed oil and pyrethrum as the active ingredients.
I quite like the Ready To Use (RTU) spray for spot treating any outbreaks (I use the Bug Clear Ultra RTU spray for this), although it usually requires a repeat treatment to clear up the problem.
Of course I just follow the instructions that come with the pesticide for how to treat my plants.
I have noticed that a plant that has suffered a previous mealy outbreak is more likely to get another one in a later year. I guess this might be eggs or other stages surviving treatment or it might be that some plants are just very attractive to mealys!
Glad you told us that. I'm allergic to Rape Seed.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/pest ... deners.pdf is a great resource, but it only says "vegetable oils" here.
Mat
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

MatDz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:10 am https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/pest ... deners.pdf is a great resource, but it only says "vegetable oils" here.
The label on BugClear ™ Ultra 2 confirms rapeseed oil and pyrethrins (Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium extract).
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

SimonT wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:28 am I'm not sure which formulation of Bug Clear Ultra is being used-there are different active ingredients. Bug Clear Ultra contains acetamiprid, Bug Clear Ultra 2 uses rapeseed oil and pyrethrum as the active ingredients.
Brilliant idea, two completely different things with the same name. I'm no expert on marketing, but I'm fairly sure they do this on purpose to confuse people.
Cheshire, UK
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

iann wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:58 pm
Brilliant idea, two completely different things with the same name. I'm no expert on marketing, but I'm fairly sure they do this on purpose to confuse people.
I think it is to do with phasing out neonicotinoids. Bug Clear Ultra original no longer being produced. Bug Clear Ultra 2 is masquerading as the same stuff so people keep buying it without checking the labels. Various other brands have used the same tactics.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Paul D wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:24 pm
I think it is to do with phasing out neonicotinoids. Bug Clear Ultra original no longer being produced. [...]
Wait, what? Need to stock up then!
Mat