Pest control

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tony R
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Pest control

Post by Tony R »

MatDz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:35 pm
Paul D wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:24 pm
I think it is to do with phasing out neonicotinoids. Bug Clear Ultra original no longer being produced. [...]
Wait, what? Need to stock up then!
You may be too late, Mat! :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

JonNo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:55 pm
I've used an oral irrigator
Can you tell us which one? I'd hate to get one that was too powerful and damages the plants...
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

ralphrmartin wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:29 pm
Can you tell us which one? I'd hate to get one that was too powerful and damages the plants...
I have a Waterpik, (oral irrigator) and the intensity can be set at different levels. I’m not sure it’s any better than an ordinary spray bottle with the nozzle set to “stream”. My Waterpik has to be plugged in to a shaver socket, so not easy to use outside. (Battery ones are available but not as powerful).
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

ralphrmartin wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:29 pm
The one I got is a Panasonic EW-EJ10A "portable oral irrigator". It is battery powered, and has two switchable settings for the strength of spray. The higher setting is quite strong, I've used it to clean root balls. The top (white part in the picture) pushes down into the blue part for storage, the blue part is the water tank. You can actually aim quite accurately with it.
P1000663.JPG
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

I hope both Bug Clear Ultra and Bug Clear Ultra 2 will stay on the market- they work in different ways and each work best against a different set of pests.

Acetamiprid (in BCU) is the last neonicotinoid we have access to off the shelf- a lot of others have been banned already.
But from this document (https://food.ec.europa.eu/plants/pestic ... tinoids_en)

"For another neonicotinoid, acetamiprid, EFSA established a low risk to bees. A ban or further restrictions of this substance is therefore neither scientifically nor legally appropriate."

I think we still follow this in UK law as well. So I hope that somehow we'll continue to have access to acetamiprid!
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Thanks for details of the oral irrigator - do you think it is safe to use on the growing point of soft plants like Rebutias and Fraileas - I'm worried that area may be more easily damaged than the base of the plant.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Tony R wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:09 pm
MatDz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:35 pm
Paul D wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:24 pm
I think it is to do with phasing out neonicotinoids. Bug Clear Ultra original no longer being produced. [...]
Wait, what? Need to stock up then!
You may be too late, Mat! :wink:
Only these 2 products now maufactured (and available as concentrates)

Bug Clear Ultra 2 - containing rapeseed oil and pyrethrins

BUT

Bug Clear Ultra Vine Weevil Killer - still contains acetamiprid
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

ralphrmartin wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:39 pm Thanks for details of the oral irrigator - do you think it is safe to use on the growing point of soft plants like Rebutias and Fraileas - I'm worried that area may be more easily damaged than the base of the plant.
Hmmm... Sorry but I'm not sure how to answer than one. I couldn't really see the lower setting doing any harm, but perhaps you might be better off with, as Diane suggested, a spray bottle. At least with that the rate of flow would be infinitely adjustable and controllable by your own hand and there would be virtually no risk... I would I think myself try a battery powered irrigator, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for any disasters with someone else's plants!
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

Shame about BCU spray. It is still in my local garden centres at the moment- but the bottles I saw were manufactured a few years ago.
I don't use very much as I only use it to "spot treat" plants when my other pest control measures fail.
If I need to do this in the future when BCU is no longer available I can always use the drench version I guess.
Mark07
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Mark07 »

Hi everyone, just to add to this topic...

You can still buy the original Bug Clear Ultra containing acetamiprid in the 200ml concentrated form. I have both Bug Clear Ultra 1 and 2 in this form so I can make up when needed.

On a separate note I was going to buy a bottle of the Bug Clear Ultra Vine Weevil killer to use as a soak for root mealies but I'm wondering if its now just the same as a bottle of Bug Clear Ultra 1 but relabelled.

According to both of the labels:

Bug Clear Ultra Vine Weevil killer contains 5 g/l of acetamiprid and is mixed at 60ml per 1 litre of water to make soil soak solution.

Bug Clear Ultra 1 concentrate contains 5 g/l of acetamiprid and is mixed at 10ml per litre of water to make a spray solution.

They both have the same concentrate of acetamiprid so therefore, providing no hidden ingredients am I right in thinking I could just use my bottle of Bug Clear 1 concentrate at the 60ml per litre rather than buy another bottle of Vine Weevil killer?

Labels for ref: