Cycas revoluta germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cycas revoluta germination

Post by MikeDom »

The first thing the seed does is to put down a root measuring 5 inches. The root has pushed itself out of the propagator which is way too shallow.

5B5A7506-0202-4104-B41C-F344E2BD5A4C.jpeg
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: Cycas revoluta germination

Post by Tina »

Interesting, how slow/fast are these from seed ?
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

MikeDom wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:27 pm The first thing the seed does is to put down a root measuring 5 inches. The root has pushed itself out of the propagator which is way too shallow.

5B5A7506-0202-4104-B41C-F344E2BD5A4C.jpeg
Good illustration of this type of seed starting. If I ever find the cycad seeds I'm looking for, I'll use deep pots instead of trays.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

TomInTucson wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:46 pm Good illustration of this type of seed starting. If I ever find the cycad seeds I'm looking for, I'll use deep pots instead of trays.
Cact.cz has Cycas revoluta on the seed list.

MikeDom, where did you get yours?
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Aiko wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:55 pm
TomInTucson wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:46 pm Good illustration of this type of seed starting. If I ever find the cycad seeds I'm looking for, I'll use deep pots instead of trays.

I collected them from a couple of large trees that were covered in ripe seeds whilst on holiday on the island of Corfu in July. I sowed them in September.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

Aiko wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:55 pm

I'm looking for Australian cycads from their hottest regions. It doesn't help that Australians are prohibited from exporting to the USA. I understand their import restrictions (especially cacti), but exports I can't figure out.
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Progress report nearly one year one, here are some of the plants. They live in the Carnivorous Plant greenhouse with high daytime temperatures in near saturated air with their Uebelmannia friends. They are growing in 50:50 Irish Moss Peat and Moler Clay, and get a monthly watering of diluted low nitrogen feed.

I am impressed that they have between 3 and 6 leaves. The books will tell you that you are lucky to get 1 leaf a year, so long may the growth rate continue.

thumbnail_IMG_5593.jpg
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

The Cycas are good but look at those Uebelmannias! Wow!
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Herts Mike wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:05 pm The Cycas are good but look at those Uebelmannias! Wow!
Agree!!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Both lovely thats impressive with the cycads and your uebellmannia are better than mine, must be the nice humid atmosphere & I don't feed often enough, are they own root
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.