Source of Gerhard Marx's hybrids?

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Source of Gerhard Marx's hybrids?

Post by MatDz »

What would be the best source of Gerhard Marx's hybrids (esp. Haworthia 'Lombard Star'), that ships to the UK and won't cost me an arm and a leg for postage & packing alone?
Mat
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Source of Gerhard Marx's hybrids?

Post by Stuart »

Most of these hybrids provide few if any offsets so they're only going to be available through tissue culture sources. Some of these plants are finding their way to China and Korea which seems to be the only source of tissue culture, it should be easy as only a short piece of flower stem is needed but all the plants that I've come across in Australia, the USA and Europe have all originated in the far east. Some of these plants have turned up on Ian Armstrong's lists and he's probably the best source for them, nice healthy plants and a reasonable price considering the shipping charges he'll have paid. I expect he'll be at Spalding Cactus Mart in April. The Haworthia Society recently produced a really nice booklet of all the Marx hybrids which was given free to their members. Unfortunately it's full of photos of plants that are generally unobtainable.

Stuart
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Thanks Stuart for a sobering summary, I will browse t'Internet and reach out to Ian if needed, he was great in all our previous encounters.
Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:37 am The Haworthia Society recently produced a really nice booklet of all the Marx hybrids which was given free to their members. Unfortunately it's full of photos of plants that are generally unobtainable.

Stuart
Oh, you don't have to tell me any more about it, what a publication! I must admit it reminded me about 'Lombard Star', but I was eyeing it for long time already.
Mat
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

MatDz wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:53 pm
Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:37 am The Haworthia Society recently produced a really nice booklet of all the Marx hybrids ....
Stuart
Oh, you don't have to tell me any more about it, what a publication!
Thanks, Stuart and Mat. We still have copies of the book for additional sales.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)