Root powder application

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
grinel
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Root powder application

Post by grinel »

First of all apologies, I am aware that this topic has been covered extensively, but I couldn't find a thread that addressed this exact question in particular.

I have a few stapeliad cuttings which I see are struggling to grow roots at this time of year, even placed on a heating mat and at room temperature of 19-21C. Perhaps it's the short winter days, but I would like to use rooting hormones to stimulate them.

My question is: does rooting powder need to be applied to the fresh cut, or can it be applied to a calloused cut or any section of the stem as long as it's placed on soil afterwards?

Some of my cuttings are laid flat on the soil mix and I am reluctant to open them up lengthwise, or at all really, so I hope it doesn't need a fresh cut to work.

All suggesions are appreciated.
Varied collection, mix of regular and hardy cacti, stapeliads and mesembs, along with other South African succulents. Particular interest in stapeliads these days