Didymaotus lapidiformis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bonsai2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: FIFE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Didymaotus lapidiformis

Post by Bonsai2 »

Hello
I have sown Didymaotus lapidiformis for the first time and at almost 8 months had to repot and am pleased that the repotting doesn't appear to have caused any damage. I normally use plastic pots but Dr Ian Oliver of Karoo Desert National Botanical Garden recommended this particular species be potted in a clay pot as the plant will do better.

Didymaotus.jpeg
Bonsai2
(Member)
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Didymaotus lapidiformis

Post by Aiko »

Looks nice!

Quite a challenging plant, and you are further then I ever got. Just a few thousands tricky steps until you eventually maybe get the double flower!
Bonsai2
BCSS Member

Post by Bonsai2 »

Thank you for the info.

It's my first attempt. I have compelely moved over from cacti to Mesembs with 18 species and 176 plants. Now hoping my experience with Mesembs will hold out for this species.
Bonsai2
(Member)
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

They are definitely very difficult and challenging in cultivation in the UK, and I wish you luck in the next couple of years. I find them easiest from seed in the first year or 18 months, but thereafter they seem to become more difficult. Hope you have better long term luck than I have achieved over the past 40 years!
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
Bonsai2
BCSS Member

Post by Bonsai2 »

Thank you David, I don't for a minute presume to have any real knowledge about the species apart from what I have read. I may have been lucky with the start as some people have reported difficulty with germination. I will try to keep them going and will keep my fingers crossed.
Thank you for your input.
Regards
Colin
Bonsai2
Bonsai2
(Member)
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

I sowed some a few years ago and have managed to flower them but they do seem to dwindle away after a few years. My sole remaining plant hasn’t flowered for a couple of years now sadly but is still alive. The winter forming flower buds are easily killed by thrips
Attachments
D3930956-C62D-4A95-83F0-C7CC883639E6.jpeg
Bonsai2
BCSS Member

Post by Bonsai2 »

Thank you for the picture. A lovely flower. Unfortunately due to overcrowding I had to transplant the seedlings much earlier than I would have liked. From other comments, I see they are difficult to grow but will just keep trying.
Bonsai2
(Member)