May 2017 - May Blossom
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

June 2023 - Icebergs of C&S

Post by MatDz »

Again, thank you Jim for choosing my Bulbine flower photograph - perhaps that's the final nudge I needed to submit it to the Plant of the Month article...

To this month's topic!

I am aware that not many grow C&S plants for their roots, and most caudexes are quite probably exposed well over the soil line, but I would like to see the "icebergs" from your greenhouses. This month's topic is anything with substantially more plant material underground than over it, perhaps with just a tip of the caudex or tuberous root coquettishly exposed. Photographs from repotting or broken pot accidents are allowed, but I will try to judge the composition and quality (to the best of my complete lack of knowledge in this topic...).

On your mark, get set, go!
Mat
Aiko
BCSS Member

Re: June 2023 - Icebergs of C&S

Post by Aiko »

I will start this off with this Resnova megaphylla, probably only showing 5% or even less of itself, only exposing the tips of its leafs and a flower:
P5170014.JPG
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Great start Aiko! I was struggling to find any good example in my collection, but will make up for this over the weekend.

May I ask, at this stage are the leaves fully developed, or did it just start growing this season?
Mat
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

MatDz wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:37 pm May I ask, at this stage are the leaves fully developed, or did it just start growing this season?
The leaves will spread out to big flat lying leaves, so just started the season. They are always late and usually become active when it is basically summer already.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

I think I will give this a couple more days and change the topic to "Chamaelobivia flowers" or something along that... Or Aiko will have the whole podium for themselves!
Mat
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

MatDz wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:11 pm I think I will give this a couple more days and change the topic to "Chamaelobivia flowers" or something along that... Or Aiko will have the whole podium for themselves!
I promise to post something but first plant I though of could be a bit difficult to get decent photograph, couple of other possibilities on the top shelf but not sure if they are still alive but they got a proper watering last week so will check on them soon.....
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Don't Matt - I have a couple I will add soon and having a different topic is good. If they were always similar then we'd only ever get the same photos.

I thought some of the caudiform growers might have added some pictures.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Deal!
Mat
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

Heres two pictures of Mesoklema tuberosa recently doctored. Mealy bug attack. Branches cut back hard due to them becoming really leggy and untidy. I had to cut back several inches of the bottom of the roots and treat with chinosol due to some rot. It will survive, its a tough old thing. This species sometimes gets bonsaied and often planted with much of the root above the substrate as I intend to do with this one. Hope this fits the bill for this month.
P1020661.JPG
P1020663.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

edds wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:11 pm Don't Matt - I have a couple I will add soon and having a different topic is good. If they were always similar then we'd only ever get the same photos.

I thought some of the caudiform growers might have added some pictures.
I've got a couple of plants that fit the bill, but I'd have to dig them up to take the photo :eek:
Ernie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:17 pm Heres two pictures of Mesoklema tuberosa recently doctored. Mealy bug attack. Branches cut back hard due to them becoming really leggy and untidy. I had to cut back several inches of the bottom of the roots and treat with chinosol due to some rot. It will survive, its a tough old thing. This species sometimes gets bonsaied and often planted with much of the root above the substrate. Hope this fits the bill for this month.
P1020661.JPG
P1020663.JPG
Sorry to hijack the thread but Ernie, I have one of these that is also getting very leggy. I've asked on here before about pruning these quite hard in the past and got no replies so your photo has given me a bit of a kick towards cutting everything back. In your experience, is now the right time of year to attempt this sort of thing?
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.