Cumulopuntia subterranea ssp. pulcherimma

This forum is for discussion about small Opuntias, open to all.
SimonR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Cumulopuntia subterranea ssp. pulcherimma

Post by SimonR »

This plant brings me untold joy every year. It’s rapidly expanding across this 7’’ pot and treats me to these lovely flowers.
Attachments
A13E7B4B-2AC1-4D4A-9DCA-9B3B0DACD906.jpeg
11DDBEE1-8B9D-4909-A0EA-ED1F3CB0E7AC.jpeg
F334F8FD-6307-4CC3-8C44-A96B21C61DB8.jpeg
CFA94240-04AE-4621-8419-B462AE9676BD.jpeg
Interested in hardy cacti, specifically the few that will thrive outside in the UK.
Cactuscat2
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: Cumulopuntia subterranea ssp. pulcherimma

Post by Cactuscat2 »

Looks a lovely plant, can see why you enjoy it - so would I! :grin:
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Becoming wooed ... slowly.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

This looks very much like a plant I got at ELK a couple of years back as Cumulopuntia subterranea ssp. incahuasi. Mine too flowers well, with similar coloured flowers.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

I have a similar sized plant that hasn’t produced flowers yet for me. Let’s hope for a late flourish this year.

Ralph, according to llifle maihueniopsis subterranea ssp. pulcherrima = puna subterranea f. incahuasi = cumulopuntia subterranea ssp. pulcherrima
IMG_8294.jpeg
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:42 pm This looks very much like a plant I got at ELK a couple of years back as Cumulopuntia subterranea ssp. incahuasi. Mine too flowers well, with similar coloured flowers.
Yes, indeed, Ralph. This is the clone that seems to have flooded the market from Europe, via ELK, David Neville, etc, etc.....

Image3.jpg

The rarer clone in my opinion, is the 'original' one eg below BLMT 069.02 which I acquired from Martin Lowry in 2009 with scarlet rather than magenta flowers:

Image1.jpg

ianstrutt wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:54 pm Ralph, according to llifle maihueniopsis subterranea ssp. pulcherrima = puna subterranea f. incahuasi = cumulopuntia subterranea ssp. pulcherrima

ian, the sequence of genus changes for subterranea is as follows:

subterranea.jpg
subterranea.jpg (47.73 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

ianstrutt wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:54 pmaccording to llifle maihueniopsis subterranea ssp. pulcherrima = puna subterranea f. incahuasi = cumulopuntia subterranea ssp. pulcherrima
That's disappointing: there is no validly published name for this in Puna.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
RayW
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by RayW »

Tony. I have both clones ( by accident ). Bought the incahuasi at ELK 2018 because I thought it was a new species with more spines than the Martin Lowry plant.
My two have never flowered at the same time, so I always thought they were the same colour.
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Tony R wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:36 pm
ralphrmartin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:42 pm This looks very much like a plant I got at ELK a couple of years back as Cumulopuntia subterranea ssp. incahuasi. Mine too flowers well, with similar coloured flowers.
Yes, indeed, Ralph. This is the clone that seems to have flooded the market from Europe, via ELK, David Neville, etc, etc.....

Image3.jpg

The rarer clone in my opinion, is the 'original' one eg below BLMT 069.02 which I acquired from Martin Lowry in 2009 with scarlet rather than magenta flowers:

Image1.jpg

ianstrutt wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:54 pm Ralph, according to llifle maihueniopsis subterranea ssp. pulcherrima = puna subterranea f. incahuasi = cumulopuntia subterranea ssp. pulcherrima

ian, the sequence of genus changes for subterranea is as follows:

subterranea.jpg
I’m struggling to see the difference in flower colour, but that’s more my eyes than anything else. I have to say, I think the bodies of the ‘original’ clone are definitely more attractive than the one I have.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Sorry, Ian, the colours in the photos on the screen don't do it justice. When you see them side by side in the flrsh they are markedly different.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)