All my plants are dying 😭

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ell -Lithops
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH DEVON
Role within the BCSS: Member

All my plants are dying 😭

Post by Ell -Lithops »

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Currently all my cacti and succulents are living in our conservatory, south facing. The sun is on the conservatory from morning to night constantly and has been reaching 60°C the past several weeks. I have two fans constantly on the go in there, windows wide open, doors open when we are in and shade cloth on the glass roof.

The majority of my plants are struggling and giving up. I've been watering them more frequently due to the heat and making sure I water once everything has cooled down in the evening to avoid cooking the roots.

The more delicate plants are on window sills indoors but I don't have any spare window sills now. I'm looking at greenhouses but honestly I don't know what the best option is at this point.
Is there a way to save the plants? If I get a greenhouse will this happen in there? Help! :shock:

Ellie
:cac2: :cac2: :cac2: Obsessed :cac2: :cac2: :cac2: :cac2:
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - I.T.

Re: All my plants are dying 😭

Post by Paul D »

There are small portable air conditioning units- Argos does one for £100 though I've no idea how effective it is. The others seem to be a good bit more expensive.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I’d consider moving them temporarily outdoors and out of the full blast of the sun.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Cover them with a few layers of newspaper or towels?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Move them outdoors would be best. This recent hot weather has set back a few of my plants on the top shelf of the greenhouse and that has four vents in the roof unlike most conservatories. I have even bought some shade cloth for the greenhouse not needing it in the past.

We have not been used to hot sun in Britain in the past but with Global Warming new UK regulations are coming in to limit size of south facing windows and conservatories on new build since our climate is expected to get warmer. Whether that will ever be extended to lean to greenhouses on south sides of houses is at present unknown. Also what constitutes "new build", does that mean any extension to an existing house too?

"The new rules, which also aim to improve domestic ventilation and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30 per cent, will limit window sizes according to which direction they face and whether the home is likely to overheat.

Conservatories that are unheated and separated from the house with exterior walls and doors may be exempt.

But others will face complex and expensive modelling to show they will not become too hot in the summer – limiting the use of trendy floor-to-ceiling glass."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -gain.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 97315.html

With all new planning and building regulations it always takes time regarding interpretation before all planning authorities "start singing from the same hymn sheet", settle down to a uniform norm and decide what are exceptions and what the regulations actually mean.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.