cultivation advice

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
spikeygranny
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

cultivation advice

Post by spikeygranny »

I have a single stem cactus that has grown to 24cm, possibly an Echinocactus but with a strong growth shape the spines are on spirals round the stem. It's quite a fat plant but narrower at the top where the new growth is so I'm wondering whether it needs more water to help it swell to the same size asthe rest of the stem but I'm worried it will rot if I add too much water. So my question is how often do I water it and how much each time?
Attachments
IMG_4626b.JPG
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: cultivation advice

Post by iann »

It's a Mammillaria. I don't think it needs water really. The shape, if anything, is a little tall from too little light. Some Mammillarias are expected to grow this tall, but I suspect this particular one should be closer to globe-shaped. At a guess, M. spinosissima.
Cheshire, UK
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I'd agree it looks like Mammillaria spinosissima.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
RayW
Registered Guest

Post by RayW »

Thats three votes for M. spinosissima.
They do grow very tall before leaning over and growing back down to the ground. ( and if truth be known, are quite ugly by then).
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

Based on the golden spines I would vote for Mamm Pringlei. I think Mamm Spinosissima has browner spination. Either way, I agree it it doesn't need watering. The body needs to be allowed to tighten up and regain a more normal shape.
spikeygranny
Registered Guest

Post by spikeygranny »

Oh dear that's all rather gloomy - but thank you everyone for the comments. I'm a bit baffled because the plant has never been globe shaped, it has always been tall, always been in full sun, including spells outside, so never short of light and has been given very little water. I repotted it recently and the roots were good, there was no sign of rotting, collapsing or leaning over into ugliness. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

I'd not worry. I have a few M spinosissima acquired from different sources. None have ever been globular. Like all children .... they differ from one another.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
spikeygranny
Registered Guest

Post by spikeygranny »

el48tel wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:40 am I'd not worry. I have a few M spinosissima acquired from different sources. None have ever been globular. Like all children .... they differ from one another.
Thank you, that's cheered me up no end!
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

spikeygranny wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:41 am
el48tel wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:40 am I'd not worry. I have a few M spinosissima acquired from different sources. None have ever been globular. Like all children .... they differ from one another.
:grin:
spikeygranny
Registered Guest

Post by spikeygranny »

el48tel wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:53 pm
spikeygranny wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:41 am
:grin:
So would you suggest that I give it no water at all, if so how long for?