Looking for some Dorstenia/Monadenium ID help

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Trilobite56
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Looking for some Dorstenia/Monadenium ID help

Post by Trilobite56 »

Hi, Ive been puzzling over these three for a while now (though not obsessively) and thought there was probably a good chance someone here might be able to set me straight on at least a few.
Theres only three, a Monadenium and two Dorstenias. (Sorry about some of the sideways photos, they were the right way up in my photo gallery and im worried to somehow mess somthing up with this post since its taken so long to make lol).

The Monadenium was bought from a Spanish ebayer as Monadenium magnificum-Spineless form. It has deeply succulent leaves that are pretty stiff and persistent, sometimes having a semi spiny "blade" running along the central vein on the underside, like other monadeniums and the normal Monadenium magnificum. This line is not always produced on leaves though, the current rosette does not really have them. The stem is roughly quadrangular, loosely spiralled and has nubby downward pointing spines below leaf attachment points (size varies and sometimes they break and round off). It has not flowered for me yet and leafs out in late summer, then holds those leaves until spring.
Monadenium magnificum "Spineless form"?
Monadenium magnificum "Spineless form"?
Topdown
Topdown
Stem, lots of buds form in old leaf absisscion scars.
Stem, lots of buds form in old leaf absisscion scars.
Leaf underside
Leaf underside
The first, taller Dorstenia was sold to me as gigas by a U.K ebayer, but I've suspected for a long time now it is just foetida. I really love this plant and it has grown very vigorously in its first summer with me. The leaves are quite shiny but not as crenulated or bullate as D. gigas leaves llok (I have never seen or touched D. gigas so its just my guess), they also have notably long petioles, which gigas does not seem to have. The flowers are quite large for the plant and have long slender enations all around, again unlike gigas flowers which seem to have nubby projections. The stem seems wrong too. I am just guessing foetida because its pretty easy (I had it growing under lights in winter, taking water and leafing out) and I hear the species is very variable, so it seems to fit the vague profile and might just be the most likely option becuase its the most common species available.
Flower and growing point
Flower and growing point
Top view
Top view
Stem and base
Stem and base
The second was actually bought as D. foetida, it is much more diminutive of stem and leaf. It has smaller and slightly crenate leaves, much finer and slightly glossy, the edges turn upward instead of downward, like the first plant. The flowers are much smaller and dont open quite some wide, though it is possibly just behind in terms of phenology. It has been a much more reluctant plant to grow in general and only came into leaf when placed in warm shade with the seedlings in late summer. Even then, only one side grew at first.
From above, shortly after it had started growing
From above, shortly after it had started growing
Stem and growing point
Stem and growing point
More recent photo, along with seedlings
More recent photo, along with seedlings
A part of my always wondered if I had gotten the two dorstenias mixed up, but I dont think the second really looks anything like D. gigas either.
Anyways, looking for help with all three of these, Ive not gotten responses from the sellers since either.
Rory
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Looking for some Dorstenia/Monadenium ID help

Post by Tina »

Hi Rory,
No 1 is the same as 1 I have that had the same ID, I'd need to double check my label as I vaguely remember Rikus saying it was originally mislabelled.
Neither of the others is gigas, just foetida with maybe a tiny bit of lavranii maybe in No2, no3 d.foetida.
D.gigas has to be large to flower especially in the UK so flowering that small is also a 'give away' and the flowers on gigas are a different shape, old photo's now as I lost all three of my large plants and back to trying to grow some up again.
Dorstenia gigasISI  8_15.jpg
gigas flowering B 6_16.jpg
I'd ask for a refund as gigas is normally more expensive than foetida, via ebay &/or paypal
Last edited by Tina on Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Trilobite
Registered Guest

Post by Trilobite »

Hi, beautiful plant BTW, lovely and fat. shame to have lost it/them. Thx for the help, good to know about the monadenium and I have given up on the refund, partly because it wasnt actually super expensive (giveaway also), and I do enjoy the plant.

Also might as well say here, but the regular M. Magnificum (ca?) I bought from you (yes that's me) is safe and beautiful, quite different from the spineless form. (assuming the king-deadly ebay account is yours).
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

D.Gigas is one of those distinctive plants that looks quite different to the others, shinier leaves and nothing else looks quite like it. It couldn't be confused with D.Foetida but a seller could easily treble the price by selling under the wrong name. Rooted cuttings turn up from time to time, I expect there'll be some at ELK next week. Around £15 to £25 for a small plant would be reasonable. I've never managed to keep them for long as they need winter warmth, maybe grown as a houseplant on a sunny window would be better.

Stuart
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Might your Monadenium be arborescens? I used to have a plant of that, and from memory, it looked somewhat similar.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Trilobite
Registered Guest

Post by Trilobite »

Ralph, after a v quick Google there are some compelling similarities I must say 🤔, il look more later, thx for that idea
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Rory,
Yes its me using hubbies eBay, the new monadenium has Rikus collection data.
I have trimmed one of my gigas and I'm trying to get the cuttings to root but this cold weather is not helping.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.