September: Outdoors

May 2017 - May Blossom
WoBo
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

September: Outdoors

Post by WoBo »

Meteorologists have just ended 'their' summer. But weather is still warm and sunny (at least where I live), so I thought of comparing photos taken outdoors. And of course I leave it up to you wether this applies to succulents you found on a field trip, winter hardy plants in your own backyard or roadside discoveries in your neighbourhood!

Just as an inspiration:
Euphorbia canariensis WB.JPG
Hoverfly on Delosperma hybrids WB.JPG
Sedum acre WB.JPG
¡Hasta luego!
Wolfgang
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: September: Outdoors

Post by Christian »

Outdoors but not exactly summery... this is a picture from last December's freeze...

52582590423_a4cf9384a1_c.jpg
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Here’s 2 photos from different angles of one of my outside beds (the other bed too much of a mess at present). The bare areas are waiting for an Aloe polyphylla and a Brachychiton.
AA47F173-6BFF-4EF2-8789-EF61C7905D0A.jpeg
C7DAB5D6-1D1F-434C-BEFA-D03247A72C4D.jpeg
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Maihueniopsis darwinii from last years trip to Patagonia.
Attachments
_C142075.jpeg
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Beauty
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

I don't really have a single plant planted out, or have anything succulent growing in habitat but for a few sedums. So I will do with (overview) pictures what I have outside between spring and late autumn.

First a table with soms this and thats. The three pots of Opuntia in the middle remain outside year round, though! They don't mind the wet winters. But they haven't flowered at all for the close to ten years that I have them. Interesting maybe for Ralph, the Aeonium 'Schwarzkopf' I got from you as three little cuttings.
IMG_0294.jpeg
The below shows a big pot with some Ceiba insignis I have sown myself in 2010. But for the middle one the others haven't grown much. But after a repot in this big pot they might like to get going again.
IMG_0293.jpeg
A picture of my bulbs and such on my balcony. My greenhouse is 140 kilometers aways from my home, so without a garden at home and only a balcony, I do like to have something up there for seven months a year to enjoy. A third wooden table could fit the balcony, which has been in place after the photo has been taken.
IMG_0180.JPG
WoBo
Registered Guest

Post by WoBo »

Sorry for the delay! I was away for a long weekend including a fantastic cactus meeting in Austria (‘Knittelfelder Kakteentage’).

There have not been too many contributions this month either. I hope that this will change with the darker evenings, which have now noticeably begun again! All that remains is the question of who gets to choose the new theme?

Christian's freeze picture has a very special appeal to me at the moment - after a burst water pipe in my flat I'm currently sitting at my working desk at almost 40 °C between dryers and fans ... Herts Mike's outdoor beds make me envious because he has so much space that he can also arrange his beautiful plants well. Aiko shows us plenty of space for very different plants (albeit with 'some' space between the greenhouse and the balcony). By the way: Give the opuntias some fertiliser, or even a little more; it helped with mine to bring them to flower!
From a photographic point of view, however, I liked Mike P.'s Maihueniopsis best. A beautiful plant, very well staged in its surroundings. So, congratulations to you, and good luck to present to us a new topic for the October photo competition!

Best regards
Wolfgang
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Sorry Wolfgang for not entering this competition - I thought it was a great idea and I meant to but just didn't get chance again.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

edds wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:40 pm Sorry Wolfgang for not entering this competition - I thought it was a great idea and I meant to but just didn't get chance again.
Same here, I even have some decent photographs from last month's visit to Italy... Just got really busy last few weeks.
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

@ Mike P - did you see you were the winner?

Might be worth setting a competition for the rest of October and November at this point?
Ed

BCSS member 53038