Killermite bug treatment

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Killermite bug treatment

Post by Tina »

Hi all,
I'm going to try out this, has anyone used it before the active ingredient is abamectin.
Do we have any systemic bug treatments left, from reading the sheets this is a contact killer.
https://plantvitalityltd.co.uk/product/killermite/
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Killermite bug treatment

Post by Herts Mike »

At that price I’ll stick to meths..
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Having recently spent that on enough Bug Clear vine Weevil Killer to treat my greenhouse, I'd pay that if it made enough to treat my collection and was effective as stated!

Please keep us posted on how well (or not!) it works.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Odd comment Mike, my collection is worth lots more to me (anyway).

Sorry Ed you may need to wait a little longer for feedback as I found an unopened bottle of something more effective in the shed.
A friend recommended this after getting a bad infestation of rsm on his Lophophora collection .
Last edited by Tina on Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

These days my collection is nothing like the quality or quantity that you have Tina.
As I no longer work that would be quite a big bill to me as well.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Abamectin is "translaminar", which means it is persistent and mobile within the surface of the plant, but not fully systemic. It is highly effective against mites, also effective on some insects I've used it and it works well against flat mites.
Cheshire, UK
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Mealies?
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

iann wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:45 pm Abamectin is "translaminar", which means it is persistent and mobile within the surface of the plant, but not fully systemic. It is highly effective against mites, also effective on some insects I've used it and it works well against flat mites.
Good to know Ian, thank you. Have you used this product or another product with Abamectin in?

I am very tempted to try some biological control for mites in my office this winter as I have had an outbreak over the summer.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

iann wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:45 pm Abamectin is "translaminar", which means it is persistent and mobile within the surface of the plant, but not fully systemic. It is highly effective against mites, also effective on some insects I've used it and it works well against flat mites.
I second this. I use abamectin on the occasional outbreak of mites in my collection and they're [temporarily] gone after two doses a week apart.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by EdMcKenna »

After reading these posts I tried killer mite to treat an outbreak of Brevipalpus mites which had been infesting my seedlings. I checked them under a microscope and they were active.
Killer mite was a birthday gift at the start of October, it was expensive in relation to other products but it is concentrated and really goes a long way, 1 ml makes about 2 litres.
I checked under the microscope a week later and observed no mite activity.
Because of the lateness of the season I never followed with another spraying, I wanted to keep everything as dry as possible. I'll check today with the microscope to see if it's under control.🤞