Killermite bug treatment

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Killermite bug treatment

Post by MatDz »

A related product, "Guard'n'Aid for SpiderMite Concentrate", has pyrethrins (pyrethrum) as the active ingredient (and is x2 cheaper), and from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6206511/ seems to have a similar action mode - have anyone tried it?
Mat
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by EdMcKenna »

Checked some previously obviously infested cacti under the Microscope last week, everything still looks clear 🤞🤞 I would say that Killermite works.
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

Mites usually hibernate over the winter if plants are resting and then return (after a nice break) in the Spring.
I understand they can overwinter as eggs or as adults. I've watches adults 'parked up' for the winter lodged between tubercles - they don't move over winter and look dead. They are hard to find as using a lens- it is much easier to see one that is moving around. But then after the winter they start to move around again as if nothing has happened...

So it will be interesting what you see in the Spring when the plants warm up again. It would be really great if there was a product that could keep these pests away for a long time.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I use a different product with the same active. It is highly effective against red spider.
Be careful with dogs around this. The product I use carries a warning about toxicity to dogs, so ours are always kept inside the house when I’m using this.
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

Mites can hibernate over the winter if plants are resting and then return (after a nice break) in the Spring.
So they might be hiding...

But it will interesting to see in the Spring when the plants warm up again. It would be really great if there was a product that could keep these pests away for a long time.
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

That's weird, another post arrived mid- type and I ended up with two posts with different edits.
I'm sure I couldn't repeat this if I tried.
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member

Post by EdMcKenna »

I'll certainly check in Spring for signs of mite activity, probably periodically before then.
The infestation I had was Brevipalpus mites as opposed to the two spot RSM, apparently they doore damage and there are no web signs.
I check under a microscope and seen moving mites and red stationary eggs. Post treatment the mites are gone and some eggs remain visible, hopefully dead.
I'll try to attach a picture for reference.
IMG_20230919_140836407.jpg
IMG_20230919_140518195~3.jpg
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

The other thing to remember about Brevipalpus mites is they reproduce very slowly compared to Two spotted mite. This makes it hard to determine if you have successfully eradicated them
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member

Post by EdMcKenna »

I didn't know that, all the more reason then for regular checks.
Compared with the photos attached the latest check was clear of any signs except what I take to be egg remnants, nothing moving.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Would Killermite kill mealy bugs?