Sedum suaveolens propagation. Did I go wrong?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
wildedges
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Sedum suaveolens propagation. Did I go wrong?

Post by wildedges »

I've been growing this plant for a couple of years now and it's a good size but never puts out any offshoots. I tried propagating from leaf cuttings but with no success. This year when it flowered I cut off all the inflorescences and potted them up to see if that would do anything. They've all rooted well but they don't seem to be doing any growing. I assumed they'd form new rosettes from the base but nothing seems to be happening. I'm starting to wonder if they should have been left on the plant. Has anyone grown these and can offer advice?
This was the plant back in June when it was in flower
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Sedum suaveolens propagation. Did I go wrong?

Post by Diane »

It looks happy enough there, maybe needs a bit more time? Mine has quite a few offsets, but doesn’t like as good as yours!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

I've grown this plant for a good number of years and agree with Diane, it looks healthy, so maybe just needs to be a bit bigger. Mine offsets OK, but not quickly. Good luck!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

Thanks. I didn't realise that it would get bigger than this as it's already 6" across. I looked it up and it's still got a couple of inches to go. It will be interesting to find space for it when the offsets are added onto that as well. :shock:
Trilobite
Registered Guest

Post by Trilobite »

I've had to resort to propagating plants from floral material, or more specifically the small sets of leaves you get on crassulaceous inflorescences. It works but the resulting plants will resume flowering as soon as they root, kind of a nightmare actually lol. Might vary with the plant tho.
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

I did wonder about them flowering again. I can see the odd new bud showing but just planned to nip them off if they tried.
Trilobite
Registered Guest

Post by Trilobite »

Yeah I do that with lenophyllum leaf cuttings but they never stop trying. Getting them to produce and retain vegetative growth is tricky - even the mother plant wil just flower on and on unless I'm brutal with it, possibly because it's the red/white cultivar of L. Guttatum and likely has wierd genetics.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I'd agree about just being patient for offsets. At that size, they're very likely to come next year.

Try rooting individual flower stem leaves/bracts from Sedum suaveolens, rather than the flower stem itself. I haven't tried this with suaveolens, but it works well with some Echeverias.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

MikeT wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:22 pm I'd agree about just being patient for offsets. At that size, they're very likely to come next year.

Try rooting individual flower stem leaves/bracts from Sedum suaveolens, rather than the flower stem itself. I haven't tried this with suaveolens, but it works well with some Echeverias.
👍
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

Can anyone offer any insight on this mould problem please? These photos were taken just before Christmas and you can see a powdery mildew forming on the leaves. The plant is indoors on a window sill that gets decent ventilation and is above a radiator. The mould didn't seem to be harming the plant so I sat on my hands rather than risk trying to remove it. Today I've attacked it with a camera lens air blower and that has removed most of it leaving the plant looking fine apart from that finger print where one of my kids poked it. I'm wondering if it was just some invisible organic matter on the leaves that was going mouldy. It hasn't been watered for a while now.
In other news four out of five of the flower stem cuttings have produced rosettes now so they will get potted up in the spring to see if they will grow on to be proper plants.