Gasteria ID please

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
JK84
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Gasteria ID please

Post by JK84 »

Recently bought at local garden centre and Ikea. Any help appreciated.
Attachments
G2.jpg
G1.jpg
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Gasteria ID please

Post by Diane »

The first one might be Gasteria batesiana, which is quite a choice species, if it is. Second one is probably the cultivar ‘Little warty’. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can confirm or otherwise.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Unusual to find Batesiana at a garden centre but I’d agree with Diane on both names.
Stuart
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Absolutely:
Gasteria batesiana Barberton Form
Gasteria 'Little Warty'

(interestingly, the 'Little Warty' has a label for BATESIANA on the pot when you blow it up - it is one of the parents, which you can clearly see when it flowers, as it has typical batesiana flowers.)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

A lovely gasteria - if it ever offsets and you’d trade a bit for some of my ‘Pongola’ form I’d appreciate it.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
JK84
BCSS Member

Post by JK84 »

Thanks for the help.

Ian, as soon as it offsets I'll let you know.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

Tony R wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:14 pm Absolutely:
Gasteria 'Little Warty'

(interestingly, the 'Little Warty' has a label for BATESIANA on the pot when you blow it up - it is one of the parents, which you can clearly see when it flowers, as it has typical batesiana flowers.)
For years (since I first saw one at a club meeting), Gasteria batesiana 'Barberton' has been one of favorites. My initial impression was how much different (like dark green velvet) it was from the typical types.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

TomInTucson wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:24 pm
Gasteria 'Little Warty'

For years (since I first saw one at a club meeting), Gasteria batesiana 'Barberton' has been one of favorites. My initial impression was how much different (like dark green velvet) it was from the typical types.
Indeed, Tom, I agree.
Here is one of my many, a few years ago. Depending upon the amount of light and the time of year, the plants can change from green, to red, to almost black and back again!
Picture1.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
PhilipPV
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON

Post by PhilipPV »

Gasteria Dragon Skin 01.jpg
I have a gasteria called 'Dragon Skin' which is very similar to the striped one here and also to images I have seen of 'Little Warty'. I have found very little about it online and did find one site which said that the two were synonymous - but also one nursery selling both as distinct cultivars. Although I have never grown 'Little Warty' to do a proper comparison, what images I have seen suggest that 'Dragon Skin might be a bit larger / longer leaved.

It's looking a bit suntanned and thirsty at the moment, but here are some shots of the mature rosette and young offsets for comparison, and one of the flowers from earlier this year in case anyone wants to hazard a guess as to parentage etc.
Attachments
Gasteria Dragon Skin 03.jpg
Gasteria Dragon Skin 02.jpg
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

Tony R wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:15 pm
TomInTucson wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:24 pm
Gasteria 'Little Warty'

Indeed, Tom, I agree.
Here is one of my many, a few years ago. Depending upon the amount of light and the time of year, the plants can change from green, to red, to almost black and back again!

Picture1.jpg
👍