Avonia ustulata from seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AlisonS
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Avonia ustulata from seed

Post by AlisonS »

Has anyone got any hot tips for growing Avonia ulstulata from seed? I don't have any trouble germinating, but keeping the seedlings alive is another matter. They seem to damp off particularly easily. Is there a good technique to prevent this?
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Avonia ustulata from seed

Post by Aiko »

If they damp off, I would say they need more shade untill they are big enough. How much sunlight are they getting?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Aiko wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:34 am If they damp off, I would say they need more shade untill they are big enough. How much sunlight are they getting?
I'd say the opposite. Avonias aren't shy retiring cactus seedlings, they thrive on direct sunlight from a very small size. Also constant moisture until the first stem starts to grow, then can dry out. If you try to pamper them too much, they languish and very likely die after a while. Best to sow the seed in early summer so they have time to grow a stem or two while the going is good. Despite being from the Karoo, they behave very much as a summer grower in the UK (and elsewhere in cultivation?).
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Conclusion: sow half early and keep them shaded and sow the other half late and keep them in intenser light levels.

Don't forget to tell us in autumn what worked best!