Winter growers and their requirements

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JonNo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Winter growers and their requirements

Post by JonNo »

Please forgive another rookie question.

I'm aware of the usual rule of thumb regarding watering, nowt from October through March (in the UK), but what about "Winter growers", does the same rule still apply or is it a case of reversing the usual rule of thumb? And, if so, is there a reliable source where I can check easily and see which of my plants are classified as Winter growers?

Thanks in anticipation.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Winter growers and their requirements

Post by Herts Mike »

Depends what you mean by winter growers. For me, Pelargoniums, Sarcocaulons, Bulbine and possibly Othonnas (I only have one) are watered right through winter.
Aloe described as winter growers get their last water in November and that’s it until February.

Crassulas might get a drop now and then.

Other growers may of course be quite different but it works for me!
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

As for the who's who, I usually do:

1. Check this forum!
2. Search online, pages like https://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/SUC ... ecies/all/ (I cannot recall any other I use regularly) are fairly good at this
3. Try to get access to books like "Aizoaceae (Illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants)" or similar!
Mat
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I'd add Tylecodons to the list, they should be in leaf and growing now. Watering in the winter goes against everything we're normally told but Tylecodons only grow during the winter. I tend to water Pelargoniums during the summer as they're mixed in with my other succulents but I should separate them out so I can remember to give them some winter watering.

Stuart
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

There are a number of mesmbs which grow in the winter: Gibbaeum, Phyllobolus, Antimima, Ruschia, Aloinopsis, Nananthus, Cheridopsis, Mitrophyllum, Meyerophytum, Monilaria to name a few, but a few which are more usually grown and available. Whilst they are chiefly winter growers I find that their growing period(s) is autumn/winter/spring depending partly on what our weather is like and being able to find suitabale days to give some water. Watering will never be as copious as it would with summer growing plants. Many of these genera flower during this period as well, some at the beginning and some towards the end and quite naturally a few in the middle. It is cheery to find plants in bud and flower at a time when the cacti have finished flowering and are resting.
Suzanne
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Try to find a copy of
Cultivation Table for Succulents by Frans Noltee
It's hard to come by, but gives a very comprehensive list of what needs watering when, as well as other useful cultivation information.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

ralphrmartin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:22 pm Try to find a copy of
Cultivation Table for Succulents by Frans Noltee
It's hard to come by, but gives a very comprehensive list of what needs watering when, as well as other useful cultivation information.
This sounds like exactly what I need. I hope I've just managed to purchase a copy through AbeBooks...
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

I treat my Conophytums as Autumn and spring growers, keeping them dry in december, January and early february.
My Tylecodens are treated similar except if we get a few days of bright weather, they then get a splash of water.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Dioscorea also want watering.
Also you need to remember if these are newly repotted/acquired plants the roots won't be as well established so be a bit more cautious
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

AllanA wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:35 am I treat my Conophytums as Autumn and spring growers, keeping them dry in december, January and early february.
My Tylecodens are treated similar except if we get a few days of bright weather, they then get a splash of water.
The Conophytums might not mind this. But if you grow African bulbs that are winter active (such as Massonia and Lachenalia), you will notice after a few weeks of being dry in December, January and February that the leaves are becoming very droopy. They like to get continuous watering through winter.