Baobab seed pre treatment

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BenCSS
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Baobab seed pre treatment

Post by BenCSS »

I grew Adansonia digitata from seed. Started them the way I do all my seeds. Cleaned off the fruit and then put in a plastic bag wrapped in a wet paper towel. No other treatment.
Also tried Adansonia grandidieri the same way but all the seeds rotted, so it was probably just bad seed.
DesertPlant
Registered Guest
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by DesertPlant »

I've sown them a few times, and have a Madagascan baobab and several A. digitata. Best germination I got when I sanded down the hard outer layer until I got through the hard shell, then an overnight soak I believe.
They are quite variable in dropping leaves, last winter I had one which kept some leaves all winter, this winter all have dropped their leaves. That's my experience with them in Africa as well. In one area I worked in there was a baobab 'forest' (more like grassland/bushland with lots of baobabs) and sometimes most would have no leaves, but a few did.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Do you give any winter water?
BenCSS
Registered Guest

Post by BenCSS »

Herts Mike wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:17 pm Do you give any winter water?
I did for its first winter as it was putting on a lot of new growth and I was worried it would strain itself if I tried to deprive it of water. Now I leave it sit dry over winter.
DesertPlant
Registered Guest
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by DesertPlant »

If they have leaves I give a little water, if they've dropped all their leaves they don't get water until I see buds developing, usually somewhere in april or may.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

That’s what I’m doing. So carry on!
JK84
BCSS Member

Post by JK84 »

Grew several species years ago. Just soaked in warmish water for two days then plant a cm. or so below the surface. Usually 3/5 germinated within a couple of days. Found that any that hadn't germinated within a week, wouldn't. Would come up with a short stem and two leaves, so might be worth trying to cut open any that haven't come through as there is essentially a miniature plant already in the seed. Wintering can be tricky as they need some water and the growing tips can die. My first attempt without any water just left me with a stick. Can grow quite quickly but need to be large to develop the swollen stems, so just grew as a curiosity.